need a gardening book

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by outofmire, Dec 24, 2003.

1. outofmire

outofmire Well-Known Member

I'm trying to plan my garden and I need a reference for all the planting dates for vegetables.....preferably a pretty comprehensive list of all the veggies I may want to grow. Is there such a book? I'm not needing specific dates, but it would be helpful to know how many weeks before or after the frost dates I need to plant or transplant. I'd also like to know how many weeks before transplanting I need to start seedlings. Any suggestions? Also, I need some basic information about growning different vegetables.....problems to look for etc....and harvesting tips. I know there is often this kind of information in the back of some gardening books, but those lists aren't very big....usually just for the basic veggies everyone grows.

2. whiterock

whiterock Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't know what part of Arkansas you're in but Texas Organic Vegetable Gardening by Howard Garrett and Malcolm Beck might be helpful.
    ISBN 0-88415-855-1
    My copy was $21.95 in paperback.
    It is an excellent reference and I suspect would have a good bit of info you could use.

3. RANDEL

RANDEL Well-Known Member

i just moved to the missouri ozarks myself less than two months ago. my local extension agent was able to give me a lot of free publications that were very detailed and related to my area very specifically. just call your local city hall or county courthouse and they should be able to refer you.

4. Annie

Annie Well-Known Member

Hi outofmire, you might check out this website.....
    www.chestnut-sw.com/weekend.htm

On this site they also have a "growguide". It calculates seed sowing and planting dates based on your first and last frost dates.

The only problem is they haven't converted yet to the year 2004. Hopefully in a day or two.....

5. oakhillhubbards

oakhillhubbards Well-Known Member

The state universities with agriculture departments often have all the publications you need, and they are usually available on their internet sites.

I put in a Google search for "Arkansas planting dates" and got this site from the University of Arkansas

http://www.growinglifestyle.com/h208/garden/edible/

I also suggest your local county extension office, which usually has copies of these publications, plus a local person who can help you with your particular town.

Start with the web, though.....

6. breezynosacek

breezynosacek Well-Known Member

7. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Here in Missouri I have two books I really like,"10,000 Garden Questions" by Marjorie J. Dietz,and "Vegetable Gardening in the Midwest" by C.E.Voigt and J.S.Vandemark.

big rockpile