need a game plan

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Al. Countryboy, Dec 28, 2004.

1. Al. Countryboy

Al. Countryboy Well-Known Member

I know different ones of you that show and take vacations have this all figured out. We plan to go back to my wife's country after 22 years. This trip should take at least a month if not a little longer. I have one buck and four does that are to kid at the first part of Feb. till the middle. We want to leave around the first part of June and come back sometime in July. We will have someone that will come and feed twice a day, but think that milking is asking too much. I do feel that if some of my does udders needed milking at times I could depend on them. My kids should be at least three and a half months which should be weaned by then, but am wondering if maybe some of them could be left on moms till I get back? I really don't want to dry my girls up that soon and would like to have milk for quite a while after I get back. I also don't want to pull any of my girls down either. Two of my does will be first kiddings and I know that drying up is not a good thing to do after this short of time. Need lots of suggestions. This is a very needed trip, but know that I will do alot of worring till I get home. :(

2. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

:) You can bring them all to our house and we'll take care of them for you. We should be all moved in and settled by then. Just trade us the milk and one of the doelings??

Where is your wife from? Mine is from Romania and hasn't been back since she came here in '99. She's very homesick so I know your wife must be really excited about going back.

3. Sondra Peterson

Sondra Peterson Well-Known Member

Oh how wonderful an offer Daybird!! other than that I have left doelings on mom until she weans them herself but I don't leave bucks or wethers on as they are just too ruff.

4. Kaye White

Kaye White Active Member

There.....problem solved! Your too kind Daybird! :D

Just as he said....there were several of us that used to live pretty close together and if someone wanted to take a vacation...we traded days for days.Course we also had milkers that had to be milked twice a day.Milk that had to be pasturized,ect... but it meant we could take a few days off.Whoever was gone just got their does milked a little later than ususal.
    Since your leaving the kids on to nurse...you're way ahead.Chances are those babies won't wean themselves! :rolleyes: And you'll have milk when you get back!

Oh,a vacation in June~July would be so nice!! It's totally out of the question here.Right in the middle of show season,babies still on lambars,ect...ain't happening! :no:
    Kaye

5. Al. Countryboy

Al. Countryboy Well-Known Member

Thanks for the offer Daybird. We will talk about this a little later on. Do you know that there is Russian bride( been married for some time) that is on this forum that lives in Al. . These two may have to get together sometime. :) They probably speak different languages, but might enoy talking. I am sure that they will see your post and get back.
    I plan to have all of my bucks or wethers gone by this time and my even sell one of my does. I have a few chickens, cats and dogs that will also need taking care of so that is why I am having a family member to take care of things while we are gone. Thanks Daybird. I will keep you in mind. I hate to think of drying up my girls that soon.
    MY wife is from a small island in the South Pacific called Samoa. It is a very trpical place. This will be their dry season. Temps. are about the same years round. No cold. :) Sure would make feeding and watering nice. :) Only saw one goat while we were there in the early 80's. They mainly live off the land and ocean. They do import some meat and a powdered milk from New Zealand. Every family would probably benefit by having a few milk goats, but they are sort of picky about bringing different animals to the island. They don't want to throw the environment of the country off track. Thanks and hope to get more ideas from others. :)