Need 7/8" ID, 1 1/8" OD Metal Tubing

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Ken Scharabok, Apr 5, 2005.

1. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

Scrap pile search please. I need 3-4 feet of 7/8" ID, 1 1/8" OD tubing. Anyone have some I can purchase?

2. farminghandyman

farminghandyman Well-Known Member Supporter

if your needing sizes in a very close tolerance,

call a machine shop and ask for steel bushing stock, (it can be had in different materials depending on the need)
    It is a steel cold rolled pipe that is made for making bushings in machinery,

and is very close in tolerances to the ID and the OD of the bushing it is sold by the Inch around here, it is priced a some higher than shafting of the similar OD,

If you just needing short pieces of it you could have them drill out a shaft the lengths you need if they don't have the bushing stock,

if the first place doesn't have it ask them for sugestions on where to look/call,

3. idahodave

idahodave Well-Known Member

4. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

The ID & OD sizes are critical as this 2" piece slips inside one and another slips inside it and they must be weldable steel. Fall back possibility is to cut a slice out of the next size large pipe and form it around 7/8" round stock. Then weld the seam. Need about 40 of them, but can do them a couple at a time.

My steel supplier can special order it, but I would have to take a 20' length.

Ken Scharabok

Follow-up. Splitting sections of 3/4" ID, 1" OD works OK (I have a jig already for my bandsaw to do this). Leaves about a 1/4" gap to be welded shut where it overlays the 7/8" section.