need 2 inch hose for filling water tank

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Paul Wheaton, May 25, 2004.

  1. Paul Wheaton

    Paul Wheaton Well-Known Member

    May 10, 2002
    missoula, montana
    I have a 500 gallon water tank mounted on a trailer. I want to turn on my irrigation system and fill this tank then take the tank out to where the cows are and fill their stock tank.

    The trailer is kinda high, and the tank has water fittings at the bottom. So I'm thinking that I would like something like a 2 inch firehose thing to connect to the irrigation system so I can fill the tank (the irrigation system has 1.5 inch poly pipe). Once the tank is full, I go out to the pasture and then connect the same firehose thing to the bottom of the tank and use gravity to fill the stock tank.

    Would firehose work here? Since it sort of folds, it seems like it might require a lot of pressure in order to let water pass through. This would be okay for filling the tank, but it might not work on the gravity feed side of things.

    Any suggestions?
  2. james dilley

    james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

    Mar 21, 2004
    deep south texas
    it will work it just will take longer to drain. why not try going to the hardware and getting a 2'' hose for a sump pump that is ridgid and can be coiled.

  3. agmantoo

    agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

    May 22, 2003
    Zone 7
    I would use 2 hoses, a large one for filling and a small one supplying the cattle waterer. That way I would not have to transport the hoses. Just plumb the waterwagon to where you can connect both. Probably be cheaper also since the main one at the irrigation pump could be a rigid line plumbed to fill through the top of the tank. Quick connects in the 2 inch size can be expensive.
  4. Rummage around in the ag sprayer section of your nearest fleet & farm & ranch store - whatever chain of ag supply stores in your neck of the woods. You'll find a lot of good hardware there to make your system.

  5. Zuiko

    Zuiko Well-Known Member

    Apr 24, 2004
    I think that an irrigation system would have too low of pressure to fill a 2 inch pipe and push the water up. What if you used a standard hose, and put it in the top, it would take a while, but you could turn it on, go have lunch, do some other work, then return. If you had access to a spigot, maybe where the irrigation system was hooked on, that would work better, with a normal garden hose. Good luck.