Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't know much about fruit tree issues and my internet searches are not going in the right direction.

The pictures below are of a 2 year old nectarine tree - no other trees in the orchard (8 others) have any issues. Leaves will come out looking healthy and green, then get crinkly red brown as shown in the pictures, then a week later will die and look as if they were burned. This has been going on about a month and was initially missed due to deer eating lots of the leaves.

Located in Western Washington where we've had the oddest spring I've seen in my lifetime. 4x the rain as normal and snow up until April with average temps well below normal.

Thanks for the help.

Hand Plant Sky Tree Gesture
Hand Plant Terrestrial plant Twig Flowering plant

·
Registered
12,511 Posts
Nectarines are a type of peach....maybe that's where your research is not getting you what you want.

If you can't find a resolution, take a small branch to your County Extension Office. They'll know.

·
Premium Member
7,132 Posts
That's Peach Leaf Curl. You need to treat it with a copper spray over the winter and you can treat with a fungicide right now, following the directions on the package.

Don't use tools that touch that tree on any other tree until you have disinfected them. If the infected area is small you can remove the infected area and carefully destroy anything showing disease.

If you keep after it, you can get it cured, so don't panic.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Robert, what you have there is called "Peach Leaf Curl" (Taphrina deformans). It's a fungal disease of peaches and nectarines and is made worse by prolonged wet, cool weather in the spring as new growth is developing. I'm in southern BC not far from you and folks here are having the same climate conditions and problems as you with their nectarines and peaches. The links below have some pictures and information about how to manage the fungus. You can also look up further information online about how to manage Peach Leaf Curl.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
7,132 Posts
In the background there it looks like the tree might also have black knot disease, another fungus, so probably the same treatment for both problems. Peaches don't usually get black knot, but I googled and they can get it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Read the directions. Copper spray is usually for dormant trees
Thank You for that... and yes you are correct copper along with dormant oil is generally used during domanacy.

But I had a read through the directions on the bondie website before I posted my reply. The bondie website says "Dormant and growing season applications". I wouldn't want to steer someone in the wrong direction. There's too much of that nonsense nowadays.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤🇺🇸

1 - 10 of 10 Posts