Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
winding down
3,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The pathologist called me from Rollins Diagnostic lab in Raleigh this afternoon.

Although they're checking other stuff,a nd running some cultures, it appears Annie died from an intussesception. That's where the intestines telescope into themselves, with one part of the tube sliding into another. Cuts off the blood supply and the tissue dies.

So she wasn't walking funny because her feet hurt. Her belly hurt. That's why she didn't want to eat or drink.

No causative factor, according to the pathologist...just a freak thing. Nothing I did or didn't do caused it, and I couldn't have prevented it. That helps, but she still was in a lot of pain.

Thanks for the ideas and suggestions on things to look for. I appreciate it all.
Meg

·
Registered
953 Posts
Wow, a pretty rare thing to happen! I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm sure you did your best to try to help your girl. Sometimes weird things happen that mimic other, more common, ailments. All of us, including veterinarians, treat for the common ailments first. With out x rays you would never have known what she had going on. Then, without expensive surgery it couldn't have been corrected. Plus, there is no guaranty that the surgery would have been successful, if done. You have my sympathies. I know your heart hurts right now.

·
winding down
3,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the kind words.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.