neck pumpkin

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by JRuthe, Mar 7, 2005.

1. JRuthe

JRuthe Member

Has anyone ever grown neck pumpkin? I'm thinking of trying these for putting up in the freezer instead of pumpkin. Any input would be appreciated.

If anyone has seeds, I'd be interested in trading. I don't have much to trade as I've just begun seed collecting, but do have some poppies and sunflower seeds (decorative, not for eating).

Jean

2. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi Jean, I grew neck pumpkins last year. I had seen them growing at a pumpkin farm years ago, and when I came across seeds in the Pinetree catalog I just had to try them.

I made the mistake of direct seeding them, and only had one plant grow. It produced one fruit which is 26" long, and enormous. It looks like a butternut squash, only longer.

Mine is still sitting on the shelf, because it's more than I can eat, and I haven't had a chance to cook it and freeze the extra. Can't tell you what it tastes like, but I'll bet it's just like a butternut.

PM me with your address and I'll send you a few seeds.

3. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

OK, here's a question someone may be able to answer for me............I just cut into the one neck pumpkin I grew, and there were NO SEEDS in it! Not one! I don't get it.

4. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Probably developed without being pollinated. Happens occasionally.