neat old stuff

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Unregistered-1427815803, Dec 12, 2003.

1. I picked up an old hamburger press at the secondhand store the other day.I had trouble with the patties sticking so I cut squares of plastic from a plastic shopping bag , and sandwiched the ball of meat between that and then pressed it-viola' it worked beautifully- the patty just peeled off the plastic sheet cleanly - no more buying boxes of hamburger patties for this guy! Now I make a batch of patties and freeze them for future use.
    I just love spending $2 on some old tool that works-makes me feel good.I saw an old crank drill there too- , the kind you brace against your chest-I suggested they advertise it as the original ''cordless drill''

2. My parents picked up a small old meat grinder at a yard sale a about 20 years ago for $1 and we use the thing all the time! It is especially useful for dressings and grinding fruit and vegetables for casseroles. It takes only minutes more than using a cuisinart and you can suck out the juice and keep it for other recipes. Quite possibly the best investment ever made!

3. j.r. guerra in s. tx.

j.r. guerra in s. tx. Well-Known Member

I love old stuff too, especially tools. The quality these things were made with in the old days - you just can't compare them to what is a Lowes / Home Depot.

Flea markets are my best hunting grounds. You can find tons of stuff there - some pretty beat up, but other times - gold, pure gold. I purchased an old brace a couple of months ago for $10, the auger bits ranging from 1/8" to 1" for a buck a piece ( :eek: :D !). Two week ends ago, found the brace you described, the one with center support. Sweet.

The reasons why they up for sale - everybody wants power everything. A plain ol' screwdriver isn't good enough - you have to plug it in - who has the time to actually turn a screw in? :rolleyes:

Their loss - my gain. I really dig old tools. I just keep a five gallon bucket with all of the old stuff together. I've got an old buck saw, auger, brace(s), froe and a bunch of other stuff. Pretty heavy.

4. Dawndra

Dawndra I'm back

I LOVE this stuff!! I buy old kitchen stuff all the time... I have a vintage mixing bowl that when I'm mixing up cookies, I think about how many batches of cookies the thing has made...

Same thing with my wooden bread bowl... and my wooden spoons...

I LOVE fleamarkets...goodwill is a cose 2nd

5. yeah, I like that bit about thinking of the people who used them long ago.I picked up an old cast iron wafle iron-the kind which sits in a ring, and you turn it over to do both sides.That waffle iron was making breakfast for people long before I was born and will be making waffles for people yet unborn- long after I will depart this scene.