Near Memphis, TN? Bagged Leaves on Every Street Right Now

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by MsPacMan, Apr 22, 2005.

1. MsPacMan

MsPacMan Well-Known Member

Do you live somewhere near Memphis, TN?

If you do, and if you like to compost leaves or use shredded leaves for mulch, then this is the place you want to head out this weekend.

You see, the city administration is intent on squeezing as much blood money as they can out of the city's property owners.

So they decided last month to drastically cut the sanitation department's staff -- especially the department that picks up tree debris, bagged leaves and bagged grass clippings. They cried poverty, of course, claiming the city was too poor to afford these particular workers. (Of course, they did not lay off any of the highly paid pencil pushers who hibernate down at city hall, nor are they cutting back payments on the 250 million dollar basketball arena that taxpayers were never allowed to vote on, nor are they cutting back on the cost of redesigning and refurnishing the mayor's office...)

Anyway, what this means for you, the gardener who lives near Memphis, is that there are bags upon bags upon bags of free leaves and grass clippings to be had pretty much all over the city.

If you have access to a trailer, by all means hook it up to your vehicle, because, believe me, you will be able to fill that trailer to the brim with no trouble whatsoever.

Shoot, I've had grateful homeowners get out there and help me load my trailer of their leaves. One homeowner said she had just made some fresh squeezed lemonade, and brought me out a tall glassful of the wonderful stuff to quench my thirst.

They all seem to say the same thing, they are happy to know that the leaves will be used to create compost instead of heading to the city landfill for burial. And they are very glad to have the stuff hauled away from their property at no cost to them, except maybe a smile and a "thank you" if the homeowner is home when I hit their place. (Yeah, I know, I could probably charge a few bucks to haul the stuff away, but that's not my way of doing things. The leaves themselves are enough payment for me.)

Anyway, if you live near Memphis and can use some leaves in your garden ... :)

2. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Well shucks, I'm only 30 miles south of Memphis, but our truck isn't running right and we can't pull the trailer until it's fixed.

I've gotta say, Memphis city politics is about the most messed up of any I've ever seen and I've lived in a lot of places! Hubby and I are so grateful we moved south to Mississippi instead of finding a place closer into Memphis.