NC and SC

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by perennial, Jan 28, 2005.

1. perennial

perennial Well-Known Member

Are there still places in the western parts of these states that aren't outrageously priced (i looked at Boone, NC). We would like to have a house on the crest of a hill/sm. mountain with a view of the valley below or moutains, we want fertile soil, clean water and a place without lots and lots of people but with schools atleast within driving distance and within 15 miles to hospital.

I want property with no restrictions and also want to have chickens, etc. eventually.

We want to find atleast 20 acres either to build or buy a house that is fairely new.

Virginia is an option too. Hubby loves the Parkway!

Cost of living in these places is important too, as we are not sure what hubby/I will do yet?

If you have some places/towns in mind, i would be grateful if you could PM me or post here - maybe other people would be interested.

2. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

Well if you want mountains I don't think you'll find what you want in SC. Everything from Boone west in NC is EXPENSIVE and guess what they're selling, land or a house on the crest on the hill with a view. You're about 20 yrs. too late to avoid the lots and lots of people.

3. perennial

Beeman,

Any ideas for other states. We are in the research stage of where to move. We live in a suburb and don't like it. What about Virginia. I don't want to live in a place where there are lots of "gated" communities and McMansions.
    What about West Virginia.

We are going to give up the ocean (mostlikely) so i want a view of mountains or something.

4. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Hey Brural,

Have you ruled out the Ozarks... pretty mountains there.

5. perennial

ZealYouthGuy,

No, i haven't ruled out the Ozark's. It sure looks beautiful in all the pictures there. I need to look into the soil quality there weather it's rocky, find out more about those chiggars (like tics), and tornados. I would need to find out temp info, etc. - don't like seasons of hot and muggy weather.

I actually send for a who packet of info and have that to go over.

So much to consider in this quest of mine!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for your input.

6. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

b- if you don't like hot and muggy, you should probably forget about NC, SC, TN... most of the southeast.. we specialize in hot and muggy.

i'm not sure what you are looking for exists. even here in this backwater, the cheap land is gone. cheapest land that can be used for anything besides buzzards roosts starts at 2000/ac. and that's after it has been clear cut and bulldozed and slides off the mountain side every time it rains. schools are 49th worst in the country in TN, and there are only minimum wage/ no benefit jobs for roughly 40 miles around. sales tax is 9.75% on food, clothes, everything, because there is no state income tax. there is still lots of solitude if you know where to look. but that solitude means you have around an hour drive one way to work.

having said all that... i think i am in paradise. LOL!! i just hardly ever tell anyone where i am, because i don't want a stampede of newcomers. it's bad enough as it is- a few more manage to find us every year.

7. oz in SC

oz in SC Well-Known Member

We bought land in Rutherford County NC.

It is actually better to us than land further west-for one thing we can afford it :D and it is actually useable land.

We paid $45,000 for 17 acres.Two creeks on the land,another larger one along one property line.Also has mountain views in two directions...

Sadly only a few big trees along the creeks.

If interested PM me and I can provide more info.

There IS land out there-it just is much more difficult.

By the way our land is within 15 minutes of a hospital,around 50 miles to Asheville.

8. Scott SW Ohio

Scott SW Ohio Well-Known Member

Try southern Adams County, OH if you want sharp hills (not quite mountains) and peaceful little valleys. Land is reasonably priced, not too many people, few if any restrictions, moderate weather for the midwest. The county seat, West Union, has a hospital and all the services you need. Naturally high-paying jobs are scarce (by now you have figured out the cheap land/few jobs linkage). The farm next to mine, 172 acres of mostly wooded hills, just sold for $1000 per acre on a land contract. A 19 acre parcel up on the ridge top above me is listed for $27,000 - you can see this on www.steves-realty.com.

9. BobBoyce

BobBoyce Well-Known Member

brural, I sent you a PM.

Bob

10. oz in SC

oz in SC Well-Known Member

11. Cosmic

Cosmic Well-Known Member

Scott when you say few if any restrictions, can you be more precise? Do you mean they require permits but really don't have anybody to inspect it. Say for example, if you redo your roof, do they hassle you?

Does anybody come around often to reassess you or do they just do more of a paperwork exercise? What are taxes like on say $100,000 small farm. School taxes??? Is water quality a problem? How do most folks get their water??

Is the land typically level or usually hilly. Compared to say Jefferson County does the elevations, land, environment about the same or are the hills less high. Looking for a comparison with the Eastern parts.

What are the negatives as you see it, besides the employment? I am not looking for a job, wouldn't take one if anybody offerred. :p Really want a low scale farming operation with gentleman's hours. What about roads, typically county road paved, reasonably maintained, plowed in winter?

What about hydro water power opportunities, many locations for that?

What about places to rent, what is a good price for something a bit out in the country?

Shopping opportunities pretty good with reasonable distances. Where do you normally go? Good sized grocery stores??? Are they big chains or more Mom / Pop.

Is this in tornado country or do the hills protect pretty well?

Reason I am picking Ohio, I was born there, lived on both farms and small towns. Spend some time in Zanesville and Columbus. Always liked the state.

Would really like a nice small farm with some what run down (almost worthless house) that could be used to live in while I build something else. Would like to build my own hydro plant for power. Some gardening, maybe some grains, hay, few animals. A place where people tend to want to stay if born there, but nobody else sees as very valuable. A place where they pretty well will just let you be. I don't care if the neighbors are close or if I can see them. They should be friendly and not some Yahoo that wants to run my life.