navajo sheep info wanted

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by redron, May 25, 2005.

1. redron

redron Member

I am in process of buying my first homestead. I have read that navajo sheep are great for first timers. Is there anything that I should know about them? What do they usually sell for? How many should I get to start with? What kind of fencing should they have? I think that my homestead used to have cattle on it along time ago. It has been empty for over 4 years. Any info or advice will be appreicated.
    Thanks
    Veronica

2. bergere

bergere Just living Life

3. Thumper/inOkla.

Thumper/inOkla. Well-Known Member

I can tell you about mine, I have 3, a ewe with baby and a young ram, I lost one of my ewes to coyotes about 2 weeks ago.

Mine are wild, fearful, and hard to draw into the corral.
    So I desided if they are going to act wild, they can live wild, If they come in with the goats I shut them up at night, if not I hope I see them the next day.

It takes a mini rodeo to get hold of them and shearing some wool or handling them for any other reason is a good fight for an able bodied person.

I paid $70 for each ewe and got a baby with each.
    We use a four wire / barb wire on t-post with 2x4 welded mesh 3 ft tall added from the ground up. and we freerange so we don't have to buy food until deep winter and then just hay.

4. YuccaFlatsRanch

YuccaFlatsRanch Well-Known Member Supporter

Thumper - sounds like the perfect situation for adding an Anatolian Shepard LGD to protect them.

5. redron

redron Member

Thanks to you all for your suggestions. I still haven't decided yet what to start with on my homestead. I am afraid it will have to be goats, because there is alot that needs to be cleared off. The homestead hasn't been used in 4 yrs.
    Veronica

6. Mare Owner

Mare Owner Sugarstone Farm

Found this old thread and wondered if anyone else has these Navajo-Churro sheep and can talk about how they've worked out?

7. ff468

ff468 Well-Known Member

I've had them for 6 years now and love them. They rarely have lambing issues even in the middle of the winter. Will breed year round. We have had lambs in just about every month of the year. Mothers are very protective and make wonderful moms. They are a bit more flighty than some of the more common sheep but I don't mind that. Have had a few ewes that enjoy your company for a scratch or with treat in hand. I've noticed that they tend to browse more than graze, preferring weeds, stick, brush over grass. I would put the taste of their meat above anything you can buy in the store and is less greasy than most. Their wool is coarse but can sell for a premium if you find the right buyer. They just look neat! lol. What is not to love about the evil looking four horns? With the four horns does come the chance for split eye lids. This may become a issue as the lamb ages but if you plan to harvest them before they are a year I have had no issues with those that did. Keeping them is preserving a rare breed and a part of the American West's heritage. Of course as with any breed there are exceptions to any of these traits but all in all they are great for my needs.

8. valcwby01

valcwby01 Ira, Pinion Coyote Farm

I also raise Navajo-Churro and LOVE THEM!!! BIG fan of them here. They produce a GREAT fleece which I have NO trouble at all selling. NO LAMBING PROBLEMS, but they are the only ones I have had long enough to breed, so nothing to compare to.:D I have 8 ewes and two rams. Some were EASY to tame, one was already tame, and one ewe and the two rams I don't think will EVER tame. They flock pretty well, are TOUGH AS NAILS, and TASTE GREAT!! Not less filling, LOL! I grass feed only, and they were the BEST TASTING LAMB EVER. Hands down. The price depends on what you get. I sell lambs from $100-$750 and don't bat an eyelash at it! Most are about 150-200. That being said, my REALLY tame lady came from a craigslist ad, and I gave $35 for her. She was VERY much a pet and still is, but has thrown twins every year for three years now, is a WONDERFUL mother and gave me a ram that was NM State Fair Champ and was the one who sold for $750.00. Good luck. If you want more info, please pm me. :hobbyhors