navajo-churro

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by bay, Jul 2, 2006.

1. bay

bay Member

I really like this sheep, and plan on getting some, but theres not many posts on them. Any body else like these sheep?

2. Terry W

Terry W Duchess of Cynicism

I kinda like what I have read on them-- and they are ALBC listed, as well. But I am now involved in Barbados Blackbelly Sheep-- perhaps the N-C will come later.

3. Sprout

Sprout Well-Known Member

The Sunny Okie transplant ground of Californie
    Yes I love these guys all except for the potential 6-horned ones. I think I would de-horn though. These are the toughest and wildest sheep you will find. Very fierce mothers and good foragers, famous for thier disease resistance. (of course I'm speaking from what I've read and the breeders I've talked to)However I would advise against getting full grown stock if this is your first time with sheep. They are considered a feral breed and they will be hard to handle. I would recomend getting bummer lambs and bond with them through bottle feeding.

4. Terry W

6 horned? umm, isn't that a Jacob's and NOT Navajo- Churro? What I fond Attractive anout the N-C is the different natural colors, along with the feral health. too many breeds of domesticated animals have had their inherent health compormised by unethical breeeding practices.

5. Sprout

Sprout Well-Known Member

It's not as common for them to have six but it's not entirly rare. Four is more of the norm. The multiple horns in this breed (I don't know about jacobs) are believed to have been started by a birth defect similar to a cleft palat in humans where the egg does not divide evenly. A true old style ram should only have 2

[​IMG]

Don't bash comercial breeds they are still expected to produce thier fair share without much involvment. Anyone can breed a bad lamb wiether it's a dorset or an icelandic.

6. Terry W

hoky cow, boatman, The opnes Ive seen only had one set-- and no mention of multiple sets of horns!! Those are some mean weapons!!!

7. Sprout

Sprout Well-Known Member

Aye they look scary. I had this one picture that was taken at night with the flash reflecting in the sheep's eyes. Runn away! Demon sheep!

8. Terry W

Interesting how the horns curve forward instead of back....