Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Accidental Farmer
14,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:stars: I need some quick advice dealing with nausea--- I need relief though i don't want to resort to meds to do it, is there anything I can do to help it go away?

·
Nohoa Homestead
5,398 Posts
NickieL said:
:stars: I need some quick advice dealing with nausea--- I need relief though i don't want to resort to meds to do it, is there anything I can do to help it go away?
If you cannot go to sleep or lay down, try sipping some 7-up. My mother always told me to sip dill pickle juice but I never tried it.

donsgal

·
Accidental Farmer
14,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im very tempted to go lie down, but what about my tomato sauce? can I put it in the fridge and reheat it to can later if I do this? Don't generally keep soda in the house, but I do have pickle juice. I will try that.

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
chew some ginger root. the candied type might be more palatable. it works!

·
Accidental Farmer
14,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
marvella said:
chew some ginger root. the candied type might be more palatable. it works!
I DO have that in my cupboard, thanks!

·
Registered
587 Posts
I always had the most awful time dealing with nausea when I was expecting. The only thing that helped was to squeeze an ice cube in each hand. I would sit down with my hands in bowls on the sofa next to me and squeeze them until I thought my hands were freezer burnt, then just drop the ice into the bowl. My old OB told me to try that, he said he learned it when he did med evac work as an intern and got air sick.

Something that will help prevent nausea if it's preggy related is to never ever go more than 2 or 3 hours without eating a little something. I kept peanut butter and crackers handy at all times and set an alarm on my watch. Even if it's just a nibble, try to eat frequently. The nausea is often caused by big swings in blood sugar levels.

Some pharmacies still carry cola syrup.... that helped some, some of the time. The ginger may help, but I preferred to sip (and I mean SIP) gingerale that was not icy cold, but cool.

One of my friends swears by using one of the Sea Band things for motion sickness. She wore hers constantly for months!

Be sure you don't dehydrate!!

·
Registered
84 Posts
You could try lemon juice,first thing in the morning.This worked for me.A very senior lady that had raised a large family told me about this old time remedy.weg

·
Accidental Farmer
14,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Its better now then it was when I posted this question, I guess I'm going to have to stock up up crackers and ginger ale when I get to the store next lol

·
Accidental Farmer
14,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
eatting a few saltines has helped today, havent eatten anything else, jsut saltines and I havent been too bad today so far.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
If you're pregnant, it helps to eat something BEFORE you get up in the morning. Make a thermos of tea, and put a couple of biscuits (cookies) on your bedside table, and when you wake up, nibble and sip. Wait a little while, then get up. It really helps.

During the day, nibble on ginger. Ginger cookies, crystallised ginger, even sip some ginger tea (even more effective if you add a little chamomile). Don't consume large quantities, however, just little nibbles from time to time.

Make Ginger Jellies to treat nausea, including travel sickness:

60g gelatine
4 1/3 cups sugar
250ml fresh ginger, peeled, coarsely chopped
icing sugar

Coat a 20cm square pan with cooking spray. Put 2 cups water in a large saucepan, sprinkle gelatine evenly over surface and let soften (about 4 minutes). Add sugar. Warm slowly over low heat, stirring with a wooden spoon, until sugar dissolves (about 10 minutes). Increase heat and bring to the boil. Add ginger. Reduce heat to low and boil steadily for 15 minutes. (Watch carefully to prevent boiling over; reduce heat if necessary.) Let stand for 10 minutes, then pour mixture through a strainer into a prepared pan. Allow to sit, uncovered, 24 hours. Then cut into 2cm squares and roll lightly in icing sugar. Sugared jellies will keep in a plastic container, tightly sealed and refrigerated, for about 2 months. Nibble as needed.

You could also try drinking some Red Raspberry tea (made from the leaves).

Or drink Carob powder in water.

Take Vitamin B (especially Vitamin B6) supplements.

Morning sickness is a thirst signal of both the mother and the foetus. Be sure that you are drinking enough water. Normally, people should drink eight 250ml glasses of water a day. Consult your doctor to discuss the proper amount for you if you have morning sickness.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Here's another trick: place three fingers tips of one hand on the inside of your other wrist right in the middle and just below the heel of your palm. Now press your index finger (the one closest to your elbow)into the soft spot between your arm bones. Hold for several seconds then repeat on the other wrist. It really works. In fact you can sew a large bead on to some elastic and achieve the same result, just don't get it too tight.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Yeah, they do have those nausea bracelets you can buy. I never tried one when I was pregnant b/c I found out about them afterwards!! I always kept a bag of cracker next to my bed and in the morning I'd wake up, move very little, grab a couple of crackers and eat them super slow until I felt like I could get up. If I didn't and I just got up and out of bed, I'd have hit the floor with such awful nausea.

Here is a super great and yummy trick for nausea. Do you know those peppermint candies that are red/white striped and are individually wrapped but they aren't hard candy they are the soft, melt in your mouth peppermints? Well, one day I got super nauseated and was so sick I couldn't even move. I happened to have bought a whole tub of those b/c it was around Christmas time and I love them anyway. Well, I couldn't eat anything and I grabbed one of those b/c it sounded good and I thought I could tolerate it. Believe it or not, my nausea was completely wiped out. I couldn't hardly believe it. Then I remember how I'd heard that peppermint was good for nausea but I thought this candy would be artificial flavors and such. I looked on the ingredient list and peppermint oil was the main ingredient, immediately followed by sugar (haha). Anyway, I sucked on those every time I started to feel sick again and I was able to get up and move around and do stuff. It saved me and now, I'll keep them around b/c you never know when that kind of thing can hit you, pregnant or not! Try it. It is yummy and it really works wonders!! God bless!!

·
Registered
317 Posts
I keep ginger syrup on hand.....It's easy to make -and fridge stable for some months.....

2C peeled and sliced (about 1/4 in thick) ginger, 2C water and 2C sugar.....bring to a boil and simmer until a semi-thick syrup (will thicken more as it cools). Strain out the ginger pieces (take these, roll in sugar and bake at about 170 in the oven until mostly dry - not crispy) - cool and keep in an airtight container - this makes ginger candy). refrigerate the syrup.

Syrup can be taken a tsp at a time - more or less to taste, or added to club soda for a slightly stronger than store bought ginger ale.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I'm an expert, having had migraines since I was a child.
I recommend flat, room temperature ginger ale, preferably seagrams or canada dry brand - room temp and flat is best because cold and bubbles is bad on an upset stomach.
Like other posters have said, candied ginger works good.
Sea-bands - awesome! Must be placed correctly to work. I carry these in my purse at all times.

I usually use a combo of all 3 of the above

1 - 19 of 19 Posts