Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to be more conscious about providing more educational toys and books for my kiddos that instill an interest and respect in the outdoors, rural life, craftsmanship etc. and was hoping some of you could provide some additional ideas?

To give you an idea of the kinds of things I have already gotten, want to get, or am thinking about:

-The 'Forest School' book set
-vintage Lincoln logs
-a children's gardening set
- a miniature desktop greenhouse

are any of you aware of other clever, well designed toys or books that promote these things?

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
While I'm sure there are toys and books out there (you've mentioned some good ones), but one of the best things we've done with our grand children is having a technology free zone at our homestead. When they arrive for a day or a week, the technology goes on top of the frig for the duration. Hubby takes them to his workshop and the build and carve with hand tools, they drive the side by side with him into the woods to harvest trees/firewood, etc. I take them exploring in the woods where we harvest wild edibles, taught them how to harvest grases to weave into baskets, and they've all been involved with the livestock. In other words, we just keep them with us, doing what we love to do. My grandson has totally embraced the lifestyle. We started with him when he was a baby and now he is 14. He has his own carving tools and woodworking tool that he uses at home. Best toy I ever bought my grandson was a little kid sized shovel, rake, and bucket so he could help in the garden. He never viewed it as work....simple fun stuff to do.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I got my kids small sized, but wellmade shovels and they LOVE them. They liked the first shovel so much they fought over it and I had to buy a second one.
Is getting them an egg incubator out of the question? A seed starting kit and mushroom grow kit has been a hit here too....
One of those ride-on power wheels tractors helps cultivate a homesteading spirit... I hitched a reel mower to my older kid's tractor and he mows the grass for me sometimes😂😂 He is 4....
Just make sure you hitch it up with the handle side facing backwards, and not by the handle or it won't work.

·
Premium Member
41,729 Posts
I would like to be more conscious about providing more educational toys and books for my kiddos that instill an interest and respect in the outdoors, rural life, craftsmanship etc. and was hoping some of you could provide some additional ideas?

To give you an idea of the kinds of things I have already gotten, want to get, or am thinking about:

-The 'Forest School' book set
-vintage Lincoln logs
-a children's gardening set
- a miniature desktop greenhouse

are any of you aware of other clever, well designed toys or books that promote these things?
When I was a kid many of our toys were rocks and sticks. I now live in a log house with a stone foundation.

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
One possibility might be your local 4-H groups and support offices; if you engage with these folks, you'll have the opportunity to:
  • peruse the vast areas of instruction and "guidebooks" that are part of the 4-H curriculum ... covers things you wouldn't have dreamed of.
  • parents will request a number of these guidebooks to see what is involved with a particular task, without committing to a task.
To see what kids of all ages have produced out of 4-H association, head to your state fair; all the county 4-H groups roll up the best projects to compete at the state level. It's amazing stuff ...

Another possibility, within the large collection of "foxfire" books, was a specific volume that dealt with upwards of 100 hand-crafted toys ... it's Vol 6, available on Amazon and other sources. The foxfire volumes are printed/reprinted all the time ... might be available in your local library.

Finally, general searches for these kinds of toys, tools, and learning resources should bring up reams of info ... we recommend Startpage, which is a privacy-based search engine (they don't track or sell your info, as you search); the linked article goes into more detail.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
One of my first "toys" was a hatchet. I would sit on the kitchen floor and split kindling for the cook stove. When I was five or six, I built a wooden tool box and stole some of my dads tools. They became my new toys. That next summer I helped my granddad build a chicken house. Granddad is gone, but the chicken house is still there.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
My mom always had field guide type books around. Then we did like a treasure hunt to find things in the book...bluebirds, Jack in the pulpits, oak leaves etc.

·
Premium Member
26,655 Posts
My son found a book about wilderness survival. I can't remember the title but it had all sorts of useful information like blazing a trail, knot tying, fire starting, etc. The older Boy Scout guide books also had useful information like that.

Maybe you could let them grow their own "Victory Garden" or wildlife garden complete with a sitting area for watching the world go by.

·
STILL not Alice
20,223 Posts
I don't know how old your children are, but pocket knives are great. So handy for so many things, and learning how to properly handle a knife is critical.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
I don't know how old your children are, but pocket knives are great. So handy for so many things, and learning how to properly handle a knife is critical.
I remember my first grade teacher taking my pocket knife away, and then giving it to the bus driver. I got it back when I got off the bus. She thought that whittling on the playground was too dangerous.

·
STILL not Alice
20,223 Posts
I remember my first grade teacher taking my pocket knife away, and then giving it to the bus driver. I got it back when I got off the bus. She thought that whittling on the playground was too dangerous.
What is it with first grade teachers?

DH's first grade teacher took his left-handed scissors from him. DS's teacher insisted I force him to use his right hand.

So, did you stab her for being such a stinker? ;)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts