natural selenium/vit E supplement

Discussion in 'Goats' started by outofmire, Feb 10, 2005.

1. outofmire

outofmire Well-Known Member

I've been giving this a lot of thought lately. Each 5 mL dose of selenium/vitamin E gel gives 3 mg of selenium and 500 IU (or .5mg) of Vitamin E. Compare that to the following:

100g brazil nuts: 1917mg selenium 5.73mg Vit E
    " sunflower seed: 79.30mg selenium 2.70mg Vit E
    " flax seed: 5.50mg selenium .32mg Vit E
    " hazelnuts/filberts 2.40mg selenium 15.03mg Vit E
    " sesame(dried) 5.70mg selenium .25 Vit E (also high in Calcium)

100g = about 3.5 oz

Why don't we use these natural supplements with goats? I know my goats like acorns. They are spending all their time right now looking for the pieces the squirrels drop. Acorns don't have any significant amount of selenium or vitamin E, but my point is that they are nuts. Doesn't it seem like nuts and seeds are more natural to a goat's diet than grains? I know they are more natural than commercial gels and powders.

2. outofmire

Oooh, I just found this article at the mercola website about adding brazil nuts to your dog's diet to add selenium. It mentions the problems with using inorganic forms of selenium, and gives a "dosage".

http://www.mercola.com/2004/dec/18/brazil_nuts.htm

3. outofmire

This except is from cancerdecisions.com.
    The recommendations are based on human nutritional needs, but it is still usefull information:

"Adding Brazil nuts to your diet will help you reach the desired level of 200 micrograms (mcg) per day. Here is an important tip: one unshelled Brazil nut (the kind you must crack yourself) averages 100 mcg of selenium, according to Cornell Professor Donald J. Lisk. On the other hand, an already shelled Brazil nut averages 12 to 25 mcg. So, while you can reach your daily requirement with two freshly hulled Brazil nuts, it would take between 8 and 16 already-shelled nuts to reach that level."

4. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

Why don't we use these natural supplements with goats? [/QUOTE]

i like brazil nuts a lot and i'm sure my goats would like them too. if you have more than two goats and depend on the money i would say it is too expensive and too time consuming.
    susanne

5. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

No wonder BOSS (Black oil sunflower seed) makes my goats look so good! Extra selenium, vitamin E, and copper in something they'll freely eat? Too cool!

Here's a little something I just snatched off the web at http://www.wholehealthmd.com/refshelf/foods_view/1,1523,158,00.html .

Sunflower Seeds/1 ounce

Calories 162
    Total fat (g) 14
    Saturated fat (g) 1.5
    Monounsaturated fat (g) 2.7
    Polyunsaturated fat (g) 9.3
    Dietary fiber (g) 3
    Protein (g) 7
    Carbohydrate (g) 5
    Cholesterol (mg) 0
    Sodium (mg) 1
    Vitamin E (mg) 14