Natural progesterone? Progesterone UPS source?

Discussion in 'Alternative Health' started by kesoaps, Dec 29, 2006.

1. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

Fair warning to the boys who don't want to read :rolleyes:

Dealing here with some menopausal issues...such as prolonged bleeding...and not really thrilled with the dr's 'oh boy, let's try A, B, or C' answers. I'm only getting a period every three to four months, but those that I get are whoppers. I'd hemoraged pretty bad a couple years ago, but it hasn't happened since. Still, my blood count gets a bit low if it's been a heavy flow, and I feel tired (naps are nice!) In anycase, the consensus is that I could be at the end of the menopausal road, so I'm reluctant to try anything invasive if I can avoid it (and not sure why they all want to push scraping, inserting, and removal tactics on me.)

I asked for a progesterone pill yesterday (by way of message, as the NP had left for home)...she called back and left a message saying no due to my 'history.' She'd given me some in August and they'd slowed me down, then stopped the bleeding, so I didn't think it'd be an issue, especially considering how seldom I have periods. :shrug:

I'm just figuring this is a natural part of aging, and it doesn't bother me to wait it out and feel a bit fatigued now and then. I'm not going to be stupid and let myself bleed to death (but I guess the medical community thinks that's my solution), I just would like to work at this from a more natural angle, if that makes sense.

Anyway...I've decided that I'd like to try making my own cream, which I don't think works as well as the pills, but that's where I am at the moment. I've been reading the labels, and it appears that they all have progesterone UPS in them...I'm wondering if anyone knows a source for purchasing this? I've read that soy is a natural carrier of it, but I'm not thinking that it will be strong enough. I suppose one could use nothing but soy as a massage oil...wonder what percentage of progesterone it carries? Any thoughts?

2. Marilyn

Marilyn Well-Known Member Supporter

I think that the most important part of your post is that you want to move through menopause as naturally as possible. Try to hang on to that. When I was at that stage (soaking a super tampon AND pad in an hour at the heaviest part of period), I tried to eat more liver (eventually began to crave it right before a period :))
    Perhaps even look to a good iron supplement. It should help you through this rough phase.

3. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

I'm taking iron, eating iron rich foods, and still drop down to a 28 in the blood count (what is it they call it?) Was down to 17 a couple years ago...when I'm up to 32 they tell me I'm almost sub human, lol! For me it's not just getting iron into my body, but stopping the bleeding as it will last for days and even weeks unchecked.

4. Tanyal

Tanyal Well-Known Member

You can buy the progesterone cream online. I think if you do a search you will find Dr. Lee's site and he talks about it and has some links where you can buy. Hope this helps.

Tanya in MI

5. orangehen

orangehen Well-Known Member

I get mine from Organic Excellence - have used it for years, maybe 10 years now - it's a cream; I just apply a little each night, maybe 1/4 teaspoon. I could tell it stopped me from being a b**ch within a few weeks after starting. My daughter uses Wild Yam capsules from vitamin shop, that works for her. I started using it after reading Dr. John Lee's book, and on a recommendation from a nurse friend who uses it. Dosage depends on YOUR body - whatever is best for you. If I use too much, I can tell, as my breasts get more tender, so I cut back.