Natural Preventatives and Remedies for Rabbit Illnesses

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by MaggieJ, Oct 11, 2007.

1. honeybunny

honeybunny New Member

that sounds really easy does it work for 3 week old bunnies too! if not what are some other things my poor babies all got ear mites 4 of them and we cant take them to the vet ($+):cute::ashamed::help:

2. honeybunny

honeybunny New Member

please maggie you are really good with rabbits. my mama rabbit has ear mite and so do her 3 week old babies there are 4 of them. i really need to cure them without the vet($)
    ive tried olive oil for 3 days but there still itching and shaking there head should i try the mouthwash and if so what brand? PLEASE HELP my babies are in danger :sob::help::ashamed::awh: also they are in a wooden box is this bad? its a lttle around there eyes to! get tis message as soon as possible pleaseeeeeeeee

3. mfwic47

mfwic47 New Member

I live in the Connacht and hares and rabbits have eaten 60% of mt small vegetable and fruit crop. I have to get a license here for a varmint shooting .22 rifle but what can I spray to keep them from eating my crops? also, I want some good wild rabbit recipes

4. mfwic47

mfwic47 New Member

Sorry if this isn't the right place but I don't know how to post very well. sorry for any offence but they taste like chicken, Ouch!

5. MaggieJ

MaggieJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Sorry, honeybunny, I missed your post and I see now it is months old. You should post questions like this in the main rabbit forum where more people will see them. I do try to get over here now and again, but my own rabbit forum keeps me pretty busy.

mfwic47, the same applies to your question. It belongs in the main rabbit forum because it does not relate to rabbit remedies. More people will see it there. Unfortunately I know nothing that will repel rabbits. Shooting and eating them, if legal, is an excellent idea.

Lots of rabbit recipes here:
    http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/livestock-forums/rabbits/112725-rabbit-recipes.html

6. BigM

BigM Well-Known Member

We do this but add a bit of tea tree oil to it. After the mites are gone, we treat a couple of times a week to kill any new hatches.

7. A.Scriven

A.Scriven Member

We did a similar thing, though with sunflower seed oil. I actually cut up some garlic, set it out for ten minutes, and then added it to the oil. This worked great to rub inside the bunny ears, and we only had to do it once!

8. brandkelz

brandkelz Well-Known Member

The thing that I have noticed is that ear mites is something that is easily contained and treated when you take preventative measures. Living in the midwest, we tend to randomly get hit with the mites in the spring, summer, and fall. Winter, they usually stay back.

With all that being said, as soon as you notice any ear mites in a rabbit, I would strongly reccomend isolating that rabbit for treatment from the herd. I would than go ahead and treat the herd as if they all have been infected to be on the safe side.

Isolating is common sense, but it also allows the environment of the infected rabbit to rest which is important as mites and the eggs can survive up to 21 days without the host. We treat until the ears are completely healed which could take a couple of weeks or more if the infestation is very bad.

I have stirred away from medicine and gone the natural route, mainly because we raise meat rabbits. Natural is more hands since they require topical application and they may take a little bit longer to see results. We have began giving a single treatment during nail trimming which equals about once or twice a month and have noticed this year virtually no mites. I say virtual because the few cases we did have popped up with new rabbits that were in quarintine.

9. HomeOnTheFarm

HomeOnTheFarm Well-Known Member

This is homeonthefarm's young daughter, i have recently acquired three flemish giants, and one of them is constantly sneezing, is this bad? Is there a way to stop it? If so please let me know as soon as possible.

10. MaggieJ

MaggieJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi, you should start a separate thread for this in the main forum. That way your problem will get more answers. Title it something like "New FG rabbit sneezing. What should I do?"

What I suggest is that you quarantine the sneezing rabbit until you sort this out. If it is an illness and not just an irritation of the nasal passages, you do not want it to spread to the other rabbits. If the rabbits is sneezing white snot, it may be very serious. That is a classic sign of Pasteurella, a disease that can go right through a rabbitry. I'm no expert on rabbit diseases, so you and/or your parents should seek the advice of others to determine what it is best to do. Hope it turns out to be something less devastating.