Natural Pool

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by pyper7, Sep 4, 2005.

1. pyper7

pyper7 pyper7

Well, we're putting the cover back on the above ground pool and we got to talking about getting rid of the ugly thing next year. Tired of the maintenence, cost and chemicals of it, but our 7 & 11 yr olds don't want to give it up. Does anyone know anything about natural pools? I remember seeing something in a magazine a while ago about self filtering ponds that are safe to swim in. My husband is almost finished building his front end loader and is ready to use it. Any advise is welcomed!

2. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

I know Mother Earth News had an extensive article on how to do this a few years ago. An archive search on their website would probably find it.

3. pyper7

pyper7 pyper7

must be where I saw it! thanks. anyone try it?

4. LittleJohn

LittleJohn Well-Known Member

Looks like unless you build it all by hand yourself and scrounge a pump it would cost more than an ordinary pool to build but less to mantain. Biggest advantage looks like not needing chemicals to me.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Green_Home_Building/2002_August_September/Natural_Swimming_Pools

If you inclose it it could be used t heat your house as well actualy paying vor itself. Heat the pool with solar and use the pool water to heat your house. MEN had an article on doing this with a heatpump but solar and a radiant heat system would be much better unless you live in a realy cloudy area like the authors.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/library/1983_January_February/Heat_Your_Pool_To_Heat_Your_Home