Natural Parasite Control

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by kesoaps, May 2, 2005.

1. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

Yikes, that's quite an undertaking for someone just getting started! Best of luck to you, and be sure to post results! (Sorry, not sure about the herbal de-wormer...)

2. Snomama

Snomama Well-Known Member

I have not tried this yet, we are ordering some this month though.

I have heard from all natural websites, the Storey book on Sheep, and from the Sheep magazine that diamataceous earth is a great natural wormer for all your animals and even for people. I could not find anywhere in our area that sells it and so we are ordering it from the MurryMcMurray Hatchery.

If you do not know about this product, it is earth with tiny pieces of fossil in it. This kills any type of parasite as it tears it when it tries to eat it.

Hope this helps some, maybe you can do a web search anyway and see what you think about it :)

Melissa

3. brosil

brosil Well-Known Member Supporter

I attended an organic cattle workshop when the topic turned to parasite control. One of the old farmers said " Feed them coal" He's been feeding ground soft coal for 50 yrs and has no parasite problems.
    I'm going to try it on one of my sheep.

4. len

len Well-Known Member

Michael, I love triplets and quads BUT be prepared to at least supplement them with a bottle or in some cases leave two with mom and bottle raise the extras. Momma will need increased grain ration to produce milk. The little fellas will start to nibble creep feed and hay when only a few days old and have a constant supply of fresh water available.
    cheers,

5. ovsfarm

ovsfarm Well-Known Member Supporter

I have 15 Soay and a couple of llamas. I have always used the herbal wormer from Hoegger's. When I take fecal samples to the vet for a check, they always come back either -0- count or minimal count for parasites. I am very pleased with the herbal wormer.

However, I am also quick to acknowledge that we have a lot of good things going our way with regard to worming. We have clean ground that had not previously held sheep. We have a very low stocking rate. Our breed is fairly parasite resistant. That all adds up to make things much easier.

I am definitely biased toward the herbal wormer. A friend of mine has Navajo Churro sheep. They worm with the chemical wormers right on the recommended schedule. They had a terrible problem with Barber pole worm last year and lost several key members of their breeding flock. Nothing is fool proof, not the chemical wormers nor the herbal ones. I have heard good and bad about both. But--we are living proof that it can be done with just the herbs in the right situation.

Lori
    Ohio Valley Soays

6. bergere

bergere Just living Life

As for the Herbal wormers, I think it depends on your area, Clime, sheep breed and wither you rotate your pastures.

I tried the Herbal wormers in NW WA. Took fecal samples to the Vet, and it did nothing to stop the worms.
    So we just used the paste or liquid wormers. Had samples taken with those also, and they were working.

The biggest thing with the Herbal wormers, is make sure you have fecal samples taken often just to make sure.

One can just about get the same results without much wormer of either type if you have enough land to rotate pastures with.

There are a lot of good links here for Grazing management.

http://www.sheepandgoat.com/grazing.html