Natural life span

Discussion in 'Goats' started by lgslgs, Jul 15, 2005.

1. lgslgs

lgslgs Well-Known Member

What is the oldest doe/buck/wether that you've owned or know of first hand?

We've seen some web pages where folks report first hand experience with goats in the 13 to 16 year range. Mostly though, it looks like there's more speculation on the web than first hand accounts.

Does anyone know how long goats generally live if kept well, not bred out, and not culled?

Lynda

2. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

I had a nubian have trips at 10....died at almost 11yo.

She didn't make enough milk on her last breeding.

I've heard 18 is the oldest but never met one older than my girl Fawn.

We are also in a harsher climate (Maine) which would be a stressor affecting longevity.

3. Tarot Farm

Tarot Farm Well-Known Member

The normal range is supposed to be 8-10 years depending on the care and breed of the goats.

My family had an old crossbred Nubian wether that lived to be 19 years old. He was kept with the herd of cattle and did very well; he did have arthritis in his last few years but kept up with the cattle until his last day. The next in age was a Nubian doe who lived to be 15 before the wild dogs got her.

However, they never had any vaccinations or special treatment of any kind.

The goats that I have had since then have had all vaccinations and proper care....not one of them lived past 8, although one did almost make it to 9.

I do have one old South African Boer buck that I think will outlast both me and the hubby! He is the most ornery critter that ever lived!

4. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

I have had 5 registered does, 4 Nubians and 1 Lamancha make it to 12, kidding and milking, one actually was put down right after she kidded (congestive heart failure from the labor) so she was the only one who did not continue milking. We have never had a 13 year old kid and only one 14 year old who from the time she kidded at 12 was still milking every day, jumping up on the milkstand once a day until the month before her 14th birthday. Alot of Tim Pruitt's herd were elderly, I know Sage a matriarch doe of his lived until her teens, and was still winning in the showring with a 90 appraisal score at 10. The oldest does are POTF, just an old sturdy bloodline. Most folks do not take care of the teeth health of their old does like they do their old horses, so being old as a ruminant simply doesn't happen all that much.

For me once a doe has to be moved from her herd queen status into a gereatric pen, we choose to put them down.

The older the doe the older her eggs and the more chance you will have of poor qulaity kids being born or genetic faults although she has never showed you these faults in younger kiddings.

We have never had a buck past 10, simply because at 9 and 10 they go sterile. Bucks are usually very verile one day and then it's gone the next. By 9 and 10 they are still healthy and you figure they have learned every trick in the book to be pains, trimming their feet, our old buck Eric would lay down with his feet under him.

But you are right, without records of the birth I find some of the late teen ages a tiny bit hard to believe. I also am not impressed when I see gereatric does who must be lifte to stand or who are terribly thin, it's not the length of life but the quality. Vicki

5. billygoatridge

billygoatridge Well-Known Member

The oldest goat I've had was 15, Had a kid at 14. Unfortunately she died from nightshade poisoning the same time as 3 of my younger ones. It made me sick. I would have loved to see how old she would have lived to be because she was still the herd boss and in great shape. We had the vet put a couple others down at 12. They had pendelous udders the kids couldn't get a hold of and after being around that long couldn't bring ourselves to send them to the salebarn. I have a couple out in the barn now that had kids this year at 10 years old.

6. Mrs. Cook

Mrs. Cook Member

I curretly have many old Alpine does. One 9 year old, four 10 year olds, two 11 year olds, two 12 year olds, one 15 year old, and one 16 year old. The oldest is a Milk-n-Honey doe, and all the others are Stump Hollow animals. Seems like these bloodlines are very long-lived. The 9 year old, and one of the 10 year old does freshened this spring, and did just fine. I didn't breed the others. All of the old gals were terrific animals in their day, with appraisal scores between 87 and 91. Three of them are permanent champions. They have given me many wonderful kids in the years I have owned them. They have definitely earned the right to live out the rest of their lives here as pampered pets.
    As for bucks, I usually sell them before they reach 5 years of age, and replace them with new bloodlines. I did keep 2 of my favorite Alpine bucks beyond age 5. Both of those guys died at 9 years of age ....... Linda

7. lgslgs

lgslgs Well-Known Member

Thank you all for the information. It was especially nice to hear about your senior citizen goats.

Lynda