Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had to try and remove a bit of snow from a path but did not want to shovel and did not want to use salt because it drained into a small swale where I want to grow stuff.

So I used 1 day supply of charcoal from the heating stove. If winter was hanging around a bit longer than I liked I could spread this on my field or garden to hasten snow melt and ground warming.
It also has the advantage of adding carbon to the soil which helps with moisture retention and soil
fertility.I probably produce enough leftover charcoal from my small heater to melt a couple of acres of field.

·
Super Moderator
9,877 Posts
ash works as well, I empty the ash can on the side walks instead of salt , mainly because I am cheap but ti definitely works.

to a certain extent your making dark snow that soaks up heat from the sun and your also making a mild LYE from the wood ash reacting to the water.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ash works as well, I empty the ash can on the side walks instead of salt , mainly because I am cheap but ti definitely works.

to a certain extent your making dark snow that soaks up heat from the sun and your also making a mild LYE from the wood ash reacting to the water.
Yes that is all Im doing with the charcoal but I tried to separate the ash from the charcoal because I use the ash to make lye and normally the bits of charcoal are for my forge. Im sure there was still a small amount of lye in what I had but the main factor was like you said sun hitting the dark snow.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts