Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the most sensible, realistic discussions of Natural Horsemanship I've seen. So much hype about NH ... so many people look at the old methods and call them cruel and harsh and insist that the only way to go is NH ... but they forget NH requires a horseman to do it well. First time horse trainers can not train their first horse effectively with a few clinics and videotapes with NH methods any more than they could with the older methods ... and the fact is that with much of the emphasis on ground work and round pen work, when you get through with that, you still don't have a well trained horse.

I was fortunate enough to clinic with Ray Hunt, a true horseman, and learned a great deal from him. But he did not have 'gimmicks' ... no special sticks, no special halters. He did not do a lot of groundwork, only enough to get a green horse saddled quietly and get the rider up. Two days in the round pen, two days in the arena, then outside.Most of his students were working cowboys and the goal was to get the colts going quietly outside, out of the round pen and arena, ready to learn to do their job on a ranch. A lot of the current NH techniques seem to have been developed for people who really do not have a lot of experience with a wide variety of horses. It does not necessarily lead to a well trained horse that anyone can get on and do a day's work with and I agree with the author of this article that some of the techniques are actually counter-productive.

Yes, I use many of the techniques I learned from Ray Hunt and the older I get and the less riding I do, the more work I do from the ground and in long lines. But I also use many of the things I've learned from older, traditional trainers, starting with my grandfather when I was 5 years old.

http://www.deserthorseinc.com/allana1.html

·
Premium Member
9,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It always make me LOL when people says such things. I guess they don't see how horses treat each other?!
I know ... all you have to do is watch the alpha mare in a herd for half a day and you will learn what a horse considers a 'correction for bad behavior'.

You can find abusive trainers regardless of the *method* they use ... some of the old cowboys were harsh and I've also seen trainers who use NH methods that I wouldn't let touch one of my horses.

·
Premium Member
1,618 Posts
I know ... all you have to do is watch the alpha mare in a herd for half a day and you will learn what a horse considers a 'correction for bad behavior'..
That's exactly right!! I always tell people that if they think a person is being too harsh, come watch my alpha mare correct another horse! Yikes!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts