natural/home remedies for poison ivy?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by chicky momma, Oct 9, 2006.

1. chicky momma

chicky momma Well-Known Member

I have a bad case of poison ivy. Have been using hydrocordisone cream, bactine, rubbing alcohol and even bleach! Some said it might help and I was despirate. It didn't help. The rubbing alcohol seems to help the itch the most but also burns. Finally went to the doctor this morning and she gave me a shot of hydrocordisone. Still itching, not as bad but.... Any suggestions?
    Thanks, Lisa

2. sweetcountrygrl

sweetcountrygrl Well-Known Member

My poor brother could just walk past the stuff and get it..and really bad... I on the other hand can roll in it and not get even a little spot. I truly feel bad for anyone allergic to it.
    My mom used to make him oatmeal bathes to soothe the itch. She'd grind it up in the blender and make a fine powder out of it, then put it in a warm bath. I do remember something about it not being a hot bath becuase it will iritate the skin more.
    Best of luck to you. I hope that you are feeling better soon.

3. GoatsRus

GoatsRus TMESIS

Sorry, I don't have a remedy for you, if I did, I'd use it myself. I too can walk by it and if the wind is blowing the right way end up with several patches on my skin. I have just gotten over a case that was on my arms, legs and neck (think I got it from my dog's or cat's fur). Finally broke down and had the Dr. call me in some cream (can't remember the name, it's really long) and it still took 3 weeks to go away, but at least it didn't itch.

4. Citiot

Citiot Well-Known Member

Tea Tree Oil works great and I've read that Jewelweed is also good with Aloe.
    I've also read that rubbing a broken rhubarb stem on it 2 to 3 times a day will get rid of it and soothe the itching.

5. Boss Cooker

Boss Cooker Well-Known Member

Two things I have tried have worked well for me. One is amonia. Dampen a paper towel and apply to the area. It will burn like the dickens :flame: But it dries the oil. The other is a product called IVAREST. I found it at Wal Mart. It also stops chigger itch. :hobbyhors

6. Dink

Dink Well-Known Member

Jewel weed

7. The Paw

The Paw Well-Known Member

Take very hot showers, as hot as you can stand without burning yourself.

The itching is caused by histamines congregating at the blisters, and the heat from the showers will dissipate the histamines in your bloodstream for several hours. For small patches, you can use a hair dryer to heat it, instead of the shower (don't use the hair dryer in the shower tho... :rolleyes: ).

Anti-histamines are also some help, but not as much as the shower.

Bleach, ammonia, gasoline, alcohol, etc. do not get rid of the blisters any faster. They mostly give people a psychological boost from "attacking" the poison ivy, and the burning sensation is a change from the itching I guess....

If you want to stop the blisters from weeping too much (because it is kind of gross) you can try a paste of baking soda and vinegar. It helps a little with the itch, but not as much as the hot water.

8. fishhead

fishhead Well-Known Member Supporter

The shot will clear it up soon if they haven't already. I've had it so bad that I couldn't close my hands twice and the shots worked great.

9. Paula

Paula Well-Known Member

Zanfel. It's used in many ER's. Google it. It works by absorbing the pi toxins out of your skin.
    It's sort of a gritty wash and feels soooo good.
    And it works.

10. zookeeper16

zookeeper16 Karaoke Queen

Pine Sol soaked cotton balls....dab on blisters. Pine Sol is very drying and will dry out the skin and blisters faster. And you smell like you've been cleaning all day!

11. pcdreams

pcdreams Well-Known Member

witch hazel works pretty good. Last a few hours anyway...

12. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

Don't have a natural remedy, but Technu soap is the cure we use around here. Get in a hot shower, grab a soft-bristled brush and the Technu, and scrub, scrub, scrub!

Hope you're feeling better SOON!

Pony!

13. Marilyn

Marilyn Well-Known Member Supporter

I just learned about jewel weed this spring at a Countryside gathering. It was WONDERFUL!

14. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

It's too late for this round, but find some home made old fashioned lye soap and keep it on hand. If you get into poison ivy again, home made soap will dissolve the resin from the sap and get it off your skin.

15. Hip_Shot_Hanna

Hip_Shot_Hanna Well-Known Member

Rodale Herbal Health book (I think that was the one) recommends cold salt water poultices, applied for 20 minutes at a time, several times a day.

Place a cloth in the cold salt water, and then wring out it but not entirely. Place upon ivy rash. When the cloth warms up, repeat. Do this for about 15 - 20 minutes at least three times a day.

The cold soothes the itch, the salt dries the blisters. Hot water releases histamines in the skin, which will exacerbate the problem.

16. Ruby

Ruby Well-Known Member Supporter

I am very alergic to posion ivy. This summer I got it on my legs from the cats rubbing against me. For the first time ever, I got rid of it without having to go to the Dr. I took baking soda, table salt and vinigar. Use equal amounts of baking soda and salt. Then make a paste of it by adding the vinigar. Add it slowly, because it will foam. Then wash the rash with soap and water. Then put the paste on the rash and leave it until it dries. I did this about three days then it started healing. After about 5 or 6 days it was compleatly gone.

17. Paula

Paula Well-Known Member

It's not too late if she uses Zanfel, it'll dry up and start healing immediately. It'll be mostly healed in a couple days. Plus, it takes the itch completely away. When you start itching again, you wash the area with zanfel again. I'm telling you guys, this stuff is like a miracle. Wish I had stock in the company.

18. northstarpermie

northstarpermie Well-Known Member

Jewelweed is the best if applied with in the first 8 hours...I'm lucky & not allergic, but my hubby is. Plaintain will work for the itch if you don't have jewelweed. Chew it up really well & put on...works excellent for insect bites as well.

19. longshadowfarms

longshadowfarms Well-Known Member

Not only that, but if you have open sores, you can get those things in your system too which is NOT good!

20. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

The last and (so far) only time I had it several years ago, I discovered that the only thing that would relieve the itching was pressure. Fortunately, I had it on one arm only and I could wrap it tight with an ace bandage. If you can do that, I suggest trying it.

donsgal