Natural gas water heater recommendations for a DWMH

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Beeman, Aug 5, 2005.

1. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

My water heater is getting old and running the last laps. It is a 30 gal nat. gas heater in a double wide. anyone have any recommendations on a replacement? Anyone used a tankless with success? Local gas company doesn't carry any tankless because of warranty problems due to high mineral content of our water.

2. cfabe

cfabe Well-Known Member

Do a search on tankless heaters, they've been discussed here ad nauseam.

In storage tank heaters, get the one with the longest warranty, it will be the highest quality unit.

3. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

I'm also wondering which is cheaper to operate, gas or electric. our gas is $1.80 per therm and elec is .07 per KWH.

4. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

...........I have , to some extent , slightly mineralized water so I don't think I would be willing to spend 600 or so on one of those inline water heaters . What I am considering is to install a Thermostat that will turn ON my 40 gallon , Propane WH at say 4am and then Off at about 8am . Then , in the PM when I get home from work , I'll have it setup to cycle on at 5pm and off at about 9pm . I'm usually in bed by 10pm and always take a bath in the AM as I'm usually Too tired in the PM . My 40 gallon GE , propane WH is going into it's 5th. year so I'll probably be ready to install a New unit in another year . fordy... :)

5. littlebitfarm

littlebitfarm Scotties rule! Supporter

Fordy,

Have you found such a thermostat????? I'd love to own one.

Kathie

6. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

...........................Kathie , this is something I've considered but just haven't pursued , but with the price of LP heading up close to 2.00\gallon I have NOW :shrug: become energized . I'll report back , next week on what I find . fordy.. :)

7. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

What is the actual difference in a mobile home water heater and a conventional one?

8. Darren

Darren Still an :censored:

I'd recommend buying a used natural gas heater if you can find the right one. If you can find a Ruud or another brand from the fifties that had a monel tank in a house that's going to be demolished or from someone who's getting concerned that their fifty year old water heater is going to start leaking, buy it. The heater will have a plate with MONEL on it located on the outside where you can see it.

The burners are cast iron instead of the stamped metal today. Monel is a nickel copper alloy that was formulated for corrosion resistance. You won't find a new hot water heater with a monel tank because most folks couldn't afford it. The hot water heaters sold today have a limited life. In an age when particle board is the underlayment of choice a leaking water tank can cause far more damage than the cost of relacing the heater.

Another option is to look for one of the fiberglass hot water heaters that Sears stopped selling several years ago. Those had a lifetime warranty.