Natural Gas Hookup

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by luvbritts, Jan 9, 2007.

1. luvbritts

luvbritts Member

I have a natural gas well on my property and I believe the guy I bought the house from told me I could hook to it. What is involved in hooking up to this? I remember someone saying that you tend to go through thermo-couplers more often but with the price of gas from the utility, it might be worth it. Thanks in advance.....

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Natural gas is a low pressure delivery system, the appliances must have the bigger orifices than propane systems. There needs to be a flash back suppression device installed before fire is introduced. An accumulation tank is suggested for safer operation.

Can't be more help here, just parroting from previous read items.

3. Old Vet

Old Vet In Remembrance

All yu realy need is to have a regulator on the pipe. Natural gas is orderless So you wont be able to smell it if you have a leak. I new a guy that is hooked up to a natural gas wee but the gas is orderless and he couldn't smell if he had a leak. This is verry dangerious but he did it anyway.

4. tamsam

tamsam Well-Known Member

First of all find out which gas company owns the well and make sure you have free gas. Here they put a meter on your line as you are usually allowed so many cf a year,although I know no one that has come close to using thier alotment of gas. Here almost every one with a gas well on thier property gets free gas even if they do not own the mineral rights. Good luck in hooking up. Sam

5. Erik

Erik New Member

I have my own gas well and it is hooked up to my stove and oven and it works very well and I have been assured it is safe. The problem I have is that it is also hooked up to a furnace but it wont supply enough pressure to run the furnace for more than an hour at a time. Does anyone have any solutions?
    Erik

6. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

increas the pipe size then run the half inch from there you need more resevoir
    better yet make a manifold maybee 1 1/2 inch tees on the bigger pipe then run the half inch from there

7. texican

texican Well-Known Member

Works great if you're a 'can-do' type of person. I have to maintain my own pipeline, regulators, etc. If my free gas goes off, there's no one I can call. I have to go out in wicked weather, check the well site, the compressor, and figure out how to get 'er back on. I have no meters on my system, I can use all I want.

Odor has never been a problem... I know when the gas isn't on...

"Asking" the gas well owners can be tricky... to legally hookup they might require several thousand dollars worth of safety equipment, bypass valves, etc.