Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1) Can I hook up a free standing gas range/oven to a freestanding bottle of gas?
You can do this with those cast iron camping burners but I wasn't sure about a "real" stove.

I have looked into solar ovens which I will use in 3 seasons but winter can be a pain to try and cook baked goods and a gas stove can double as a heater when you turn it to warm and crack the door.

2) I need very little electricity. I want to run :
-fans in summer
-small cd radio player
-TV -I do enjoy a movie a couple times a month

So if my little house isn't wired for electricity and I'm not going to do that how could I use a deep cyle battery? I would probably charge the battery somewhere else until I could get a solar, wind or water power setup to charge it.
But how do I use the battery? Can I just take a heavy duty extension cord and strip off the covering and attach the wires to the terminals? Even a deep cycle battery puts out DC not AC right? So something about and inverter? Hmm...What parts and pieces do I need to get the power out of a deep cycle battery and make the 3 items above go AND safely? I need clear how to instructions and a list of components involved in the project.

Can anybody out there help? Thank you!

:) Megan

·
In Remembrance
28,242 Posts
1. Yes you can. You need to do a hook up like is used on an rv.

2. Fans, I used the car/rv 12v dc fans from stuff mart.

Lights, rv type 12 v dc flourescents.

Water pump, 12 v dc, flo jet.

Car stero/cd players are great for a 12v dc system. There are some good 12v dc tvs with dvd/video players in them too.

I cut all the cords off the 12v appliances because they are so flimsy. The smaller cord uses more power to do the same work.

I bought extension cords and cut the female end off. Then I spliced them to the 12 v cord that I cut off. I ran the heaviest wire I could find from the batteries to a standard wall plug and wired it with a fused disconect. The wire and disconect were part of a package I picked up at stuff mart that was intended for connecting a stereo unit to the car's battery. The wire was easier to use than house wire because it was more pliable. I have used house wire, but it is more difficult to get a good safe connection.

If you ever have ac powr running you will need a diff type of plug in than what you are using for dc. If you only have dc, then it is ok to use a standard plug. The cig lighter plug is dangerous and should not be used.

Always use red for the positive side of the battery bank and white or black for the negative. Run a ground wire if you are hooked to solar or a genny.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
madmarchie said:
1) Can I hook up a free standing gas range/oven to a freestanding bottle of gas?
You can do this with those cast iron camping burners but I wasn't sure about a "real" stove.

I have looked into solar ovens which I will use in 3 seasons but winter can be a pain to try and cook baked goods and a gas stove can double as a heater when you turn it to warm and crack the door.

2) I need very little electricity. I want to run :
-fans in summer
-small cd radio player
-TV -I do enjoy a movie a couple times a month

So if my little house isn't wired for electricity and I'm not going to do that how could I use a deep cyle battery? I would probably charge the battery somewhere else until I could get a solar, wind or water power setup to charge it.
But how do I use the battery? Can I just take a heavy duty extension cord and strip off the covering and attach the wires to the terminals? Even a deep cycle battery puts out DC not AC right? So something about and inverter? Hmm...What parts and pieces do I need to get the power out of a deep cycle battery and make the 3 items above go AND safely? I need clear how to instructions and a list of components involved in the project.

Can anybody out there help? Thank you!

not if its city gas you have to change the valve to lp gas

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
mt, there never was any gas in this little house. Do you mean if the appliance is fitted for a city gas line? As a kid we were kinda off the grid. There was a BIGGG natural gas tank in the basement that would be filled up by a truck once in a while and the gas some how got hooked up to our cooking appliance. It was like a huge bottle of propane it seems. Wouldn't the manufacturer make the unit so it could be hooked up to whatever the consumer chose?

·
Registered
9,582 Posts
..................A gas stove can't work off both natural gas ....and....propane . They are Different chemically and have different characteristics . The Orifice for propane will NOT accomodate natural gas and vice versa. Call a propane supplier and they will explain . ...fordy.... :eek: :)

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
We just bought a gas stove from Sears to replace our electric stove. It was out of the box, new and on clearance. We paid $143 for a $389 stove. It came set up for natural gas so I had to buy a $30 conversion kit for propane. All the burners had to have the gas orifice unscrewed and the LP orifice screwed in. The burner valve for the oven had to be screwed down to a different setting. Then the flame had to be adjusted after we got it converted. It said the propane doesn't have as many BTUs as natural gas, but it sure does cook nicely anyway.

·
Premium Member
8,874 Posts
madmarchie said:
mt, there never was any gas in this little house. Do you mean if the appliance is fitted for a city gas line? As a kid we were kinda off the grid. There was a BIGGG natural gas tank in the basement that would be filled up by a truck once in a while and the gas some how got hooked up to our cooking appliance. It was like a huge bottle of propane it seems. Wouldn't the manufacturer make the unit so it could be hooked up to whatever the consumer chose?

Natural gas does not compress into a liquid very well. It has less btu. So, you need to be on a feeder line. It does not often work out to be stored in a tank.

LP / propane compresses into a liquid at fairly low pressures, and a liquid stores _much_ more btus in a tank. So any time you have a tank, you probably 95% of the time have propane.

These fuels are different, and need different burners. Most stoves have conversion kits, but you _must_ be sure you have the right fittings and settings for your fuel.

Propane costs more, but you use less of it, and it is much easier to transport & store on site.

Natural gas is much cheaper, but has less power per volume, and can only practically be transported in a pipeline.

--->Paul

·
Registered
891 Posts
Check the wattage of the things you want to run off of the battery.The TV will most likely be the largest.
Youll need a power inverter that can carry that much wattage.Some things dont list wattage,im not sure how you would no if it doesn't list it.If its a very big TV you may not be able to get an inverter that large or it may cost a fortune.
Things with heating elements have the largest energy consumption of the things ive checked.My little 400 watt inverter is very limited.But it would run a fan and cd-player.It cost around $45 dollars at Auto Zone.They also sell a larger one but not sure what size it was exactly.If memory serves it was around 700watt with two plug ends, and was $75.
As for the deep cycle battery im not sure if that or a regular battery would be better.
But to run for any period of time you'll probably need more than one battery.Theres a way to link more than one , together in a series to make them last for a much longer period of time than a lone battery.Anyone remember what this is called?

You might also want to check out a local feed/hardware store to see if they have a solar charger for an electric fence.Id think they would charge the series of batteries just fine.But check and make sure.Cost around $100

Some one with some better electrical experience is sure to be along shortly. :D

·
Registered
891 Posts
I remembered what you call it when you hook more than one battery together it was called (parallel).
Heres a link showing how to wire them,and also everything you ever wanted to no about deep cycle batteries.I new i had a good link stashed away somewhere i just had to find it. :D
http://www.marine-electronics.net/techarticle/battery_faq/b_faq.htm

Also be sure careful not to arc a spark around a battery.Especially if has been under a load or during charging.It can and will blow up! I blew one up one time,its not pretty! :eek:
Always turn every thing off while connecting every thing.
Please read up on using them! ;)

·
Registered
11,300 Posts
Costco awhile back was selling a nice inverter 12vdc to 120vac 1000(1200?) watts or so,for 69 bucks.Maybe they still are??I use it in Motorhome and it runs tv,sat just fine.Will even run electric coffee pot but on a single battery would destroy the battery fast.With your power needs I bet a single 60-80 watt solar panel would work you pretty well.Get a 12 volt CF bulb from backwoods solar,and it should power you ok.Use the lights sparingly.Use 12 volt direct as much as possible,a battery loses 30% or so of available power in charging it,an inverter can lose 30% or more power to invert it,so direct 12 volt is way more power usage efficient.
BooBoo

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I really appreciate all the responses. I'm taking notes here...I'm going to check out that link but I might be too sleepy tonight.

Since natural gas and propane were being covered I was also thinking about methane/biogas. I'm confident about making it but what is simple and or best way to compress it? India is doing a lot of research on methane and supposedly individuals are using it. In all my reading I can't find out how to get it from the low pressure say inner tube storage to a useable moderately pressurized tank? What do y'all think?

·
Premium Member
3,972 Posts
madmarchie said:
First off, WHAT gas are you refering to? Propane or natural gas. I dont think you can get natural gas in bottle.
In most cases you can "convert" natural gas devices to propane by changing the input regulator. You CANT just change gases and have it work saftely.

·
Registered
747 Posts
inverters are really easy to find !and not expensive !!! just go to the stereo section of any store with electronics, and you will find a large selection ( those big car stereos the kids love , need powerbox inverters :D ) expect to pay about 35.00 for a 350 watt inverter, which is enough for a 20-27 inch tv and a vcr for about 21/2-3 hours off a battery truck with out recharging
lighting, honestly , rather than your battery, i would get small solar lights, any store has them now on sale, put them outside in the morning, to have light at night
a solar attic fan can be put inside for home cooling in summer, and to move hot air around in winter

you will need to build a small vented box for the batterey/ies the inverter can be in the house, and set the tv and inverter and battery , from outside, close together, dc loses efficency when led far from the source .
2 or 3 marine deep cycle batteries will give an efficent home, without fridge , plenty of power

as i have said many times on here, you can get set up for minimum electricity for about 500.00-700.00
3 batteries , 2-3 panels ,and an inverter

even from the most expensive places ( real goods) has a complete kit with batteries for 880.00

·
Premium Member
8,874 Posts
madmarchie said:
I really appreciate all the responses. I'm taking notes here...I'm going to check out that link but I might be too sleepy tonight.

Since natural gas and propane were being covered I was also thinking about methane/biogas. I'm confident about making it but what is simple and or best way to compress it? India is doing a lot of research on methane and supposedly individuals are using it. In all my reading I can't find out how to get it from the low pressure say inner tube storage to a useable moderately pressurized tank? What do y'all think?

Methane is pretty much natural gas - NG is 90% methane. They do not compress well, & have low btu per volume. They are sold by the cubic foot. I believe you need tremendous pressures to store these as liquids. Not really a back-yard or safe idea. I believe you need to get around 3000# of pressure.... Or you can store it at less than 100# pressure as liquefied natural gas (LNG) - but it needs to be cooled to somewhere less than -200 degrees F.

Propane is sold by the gallon, because it compresses much better at reasonable pressures.

Here's a rather simple page of some of the different gases.

http://www.eia.doe.gov/kids/energyfacts/sources/non-renewable/propane.html

If you go to google.com & enter 'compressing natural gas' you will get a lot of hits.

Also there is a lot of interest in running vehicles with compressed natural gas. The big issue is how heavy the tanks are to withstand the pressure needed.

--->Paul

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi,

I have seen this setup in India. They don't compress it, they just run a hose straight from the production aparatus (crap tank) to the stove. It looked just like a natural gas setup. I think since the gas is lighter than air, it collects in the production tank and will just feed into the stove if it's set up right. That was my recollection at least.

Good luck,
Erik

madmarchie said:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts