Natural Allergy Remedies

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by perennial, Oct 19, 2004.

1. perennial

perennial Well-Known Member

I have many, many allergies. The one i'm dealing with now is ragweed, leaves, mold. My allergy pills from the doctor make me a space cadet and sleepy, i've tried them all. The flonase only does something if i'm stuffed up in the nose and eyes are itching, etc. and the cost adds up for these even with insurance.

My chest feels like a huge bear is sitting on it at times. No problems, i've had chest x-rays, etc. and am healthy. The allergists want to just give me more pills (no thanks- i'm on search for a natural healer around here). I've been drinking lots of tea - peppermint, and other and drinking my normal gallon of water a day. I feel great when i'm drinking these, but would welcome more ideas.

I do take a teaspoon twice a day of local honey so next year my seasonal allergies won't be so bad, but i need help this season.

Keep in mind, anything that grows on a tree, i will have to peel or cook (another food allergy), can't have anything with chamomile, sunflower seeds, cantelope, melons or nuts in it.

hopefully someone has an idea for me. Thanks for any help. The honey thing works wonders for seasonal allergies, but it takes a few months to help your system.

brural

2. HarleysMom

HarleysMom Well-Known Member

I take stinging nettles capsules for my allergies and it works really well for me.

3. FrankTheTank

FrankTheTank Well-Known Member

Harely~

do they work for Ragweed??? My allergy season last roughly a month-mid Aug to mid Sept-but it really stinks! Its so nice to breath after a month of torture.

4. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Yerba Mate tea is good for asthma. Seems to be helping me. You might find that your allergies improve if you get rid of all scented products in your home. Switch completely over to plain home made toiletries and cleaning supplies and really watch the formaldahyde exposure. Also get a HEPA filter vacuum (I just use the HEPA filter bags). And use a good filtering system for the air in the house. If you EVER have to dust your furniture (more than once or twice a year anyway) you need to filter the air. Ditch dust catchers and if you can, get rid of carpet.

Another thing that helps is to try organic foods only.

5. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Try Quercetin and Bromelain.

6. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

Water-chug one pint every hour. My mother had severe allergies and asthma and wiped both of them completely out by adhering to that schedule.

7. Cyngbaeld

One pound nettle leaf 3.70
    One pound yerba mate 3.30
    at

http://www.atlanticspice.com/

best prices I've found anywhere. Just make a tea and drink it.

8. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

NOT natural but Claritan is now generic called Loratadine.Got em at Local store yesterday for 33 cents a tab,Claritan was 1.00-1.38 per tab.
    BooBoo

9. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

To start with, during my hayfever season I rinse my hair out in the evening. Hair collects pollen during the day, and you don't want that against your face all night.

Also, pollen is at it's lowest first thing in the morning. They USED to think that it was highest in the morning, but now that they can do better pollen counts they know that at dawn, before the plants start releasing the days pollen, is the best time for us to be out.

Allegra and claritan don't make me sleepy, have you tried them?

Good luck!

10. perennial

perennial Well-Known Member

Allegra doesn't even touch my symptoms and claritin has the same effect as clarinex - my hubby (half Joking) on his way out the door the last time i took it said - if the fire alarm goes off, don't sit and giggle remember to get out of the house. I can't take any of those unless i want to sleep for 12 hours!

Those are some great suggestions and i'll check into them. Thanks so much. I'll let you all know what might work.If it would just get cold enough to kill all the plants, i'd be all set!

As for dust, i dust three times a week and vacuum the same because we have hot air heat and the place does get dusty if i don't do it that frequent. :no:

I'm going to a food coop tomorrow so i'll be able to get some of those herbs there.

Thanks again,

brural

11. goatlady

goatlady Well-Known Member Supporter

My neighbor had severe allergies for most of his life (he's 73). I made some Mullein leaf tincture for him 5 years ago and he has been allergy free since then. He takes a teaspoon in the morning before going outside during his allergy season spring/summer) and he has no swelling, itching, redness, runny nose, cough, etc for up to 5 hours at a whack. Mullein leaf tincture seems to somehow coat the nasal and mucous membranes so the allergens do not become attached and set up a reaction in the tissues, so it's not something that just treats the symptoms, it prevents the reaction itself.

12. vicki in NW OH

vicki in NW OH Well-Known Member

Do not eat wheat or dairy. Both make allergies worse.

13. Bluegrass

Bluegrass Active Member

Not very "natural", but caffeine helps open things up, it dilates everything. Sometimes, it is the only thing that helps me.

14. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Hey, caffeine's natural. :)

15. mightybooboo

Maybe I missed it,but we live in the middle of 54 million pine trees(18 million died from Bark beetle,another story)
    We get covered with that yellow pollen.Seriously,our car is yellow overnight after washing.Got a dirt devil vacuum with the Hepa filter.Its noisey but does the job well.It filters like you wouldnt believe,and those filters really last a long time,just bang em on the wall and out comes the dirt.Cut our symptoms dramatically.For 80 dollars or so,this is a machine that cant be beat.
    First we vacuumed with old vacuum.Then the new one.It pulled out the finest silt dirt I ever saw.And white powder we decided was that carpet cleaner stuff.Before we were just blowing it thru the old machine.AMAZING!!!! :worship: :worship:
    BooBoo

16. Cyngbaeld

Bluegrass, you might want to try the yerba mate. It works on the same princeple as coffee, but better.

Boo, that vacuuming makes a major diff. Combine it with a really good air filter for under 50 bucks and you will not need to dust hardly at all. Even with a wood stove.
    To make the filter, use a box fan and one of those washable filters from stuff mart. Get the 3M one with the aluminum screen and blue interior. Works great.

17. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

I suffered miserably from allergies my entire life, except the past four. (That's 46:4)

For immediate relief: Take 2,000 mg of Vitamin C every four hours the first day or two, then every six hours. At some point you should be able to take 1,000 mg at a time and regulate how often you need it. Vitamin C is a natural antihistamine. When your mouth feels dry, you know it's time to cut back. Don't use vitamins from a department store, go to a health store. I prefer the Solaray brand.

Take a pinch of tumeric (found in the spice section of your grocer's) twice a day. After using the tumeric for a month I found that I could breathe even when the neighbors were burning leaves. My allergies are a thing of the past. Whenever I believe that I'm getting allergic or asthmatic symptoms again, I just take some tumeric. It's a miracle drug.

If milk causes a reaction, it is probably because of the ascaris worm which resides in it. You can kill off the ascaris by bringing the milk to a simmer for ten minutes. After that, you can refrigerate the milk and use it however you want to. Cheese is another problem. I'd simply eliminate all dairy (and wheat if possible) until the symptoms are under control for a month or more, then add specifics. You can always simmer the milk and/or keep taking tumeric if dairy is a problem and the tumeric works. I'm sure there can be other reasons why dairy and/or wheat would cause symptoms, which is why eliminating them altogether for a while would be a good idea for you.

18. BamaSuzy

BamaSuzy Well-Known Member

My allergies got so bad that I almost died several times a few years ago....I got down to between 80 and 90 lbs too (where I'm usually about 130 to 140)

I am allergie to Vitamin C so that is out. I am allergie to most herbal remedies. PLEASE BE CAREFUL TRYING ANYTHING NEW HERBALLY because You could go into allergy anaphylatic shock if you try something you're allergic too....

I was on high-dose steroids for 11 years and weaned myself off of them. I live on a small homstead now and raise Angora rabbits (which I am allergic too), goats, chickens (which I am allergic to and whose eggs I cannot eat because I am allergic to them too) and also have cats and dogs....

I keep dye-free Benedryl with me at all times but I have been taking Singulair for about three months and it is the first thing that I've ever tried that ever helps at all. It seems my overall symptoms are much better taking that.

The main thing I had to do was take charge of my own health care. I had so many doctors that thought it was "mental" back when I was so skinny and almost died. I would get sick EVERY time it rained and so they said it was all in my head....then it was later determined I was highly sensitive to mold spore in the air! Many of my symptoms moved to my GI tract which made things even worse...

For 18 months I ate four meals a day of boiled okra, boiled squash, boiled or baked turkey and pineapple juice...that was it,,,,four meals a day for all those months with no salt, no additives, NOTHING else....gradually I started adding more and more foods and now I can eat much more (BUT CANNOT DRINK PINEAPPLE juice anymore because I developed an allergy to it!!!)....

I still can't eat chocolate, most dairy, caffiene, eggs, wheat, lots of other good stuff....but I can eat lots more than I used too...

At one point from about 1988 to 1992 I was giving myself four allergie shots each week plus one B-12 shot each month...plus all the steroids...

My resistence gradually improved. My teeth are bad now...only basically ahve the front ones left but my doc agrees that it may be hard for me to ever wear false teeth because I may be allergic to what they are made of!!!

I always shower (including washing my hair) after I've been dealing with my animals or doing other farm work and I keep an Epi-pen with me at all times...."just in case." Best wishes! If you would like to "talk" with me more about allergies, just private message me or send me an e-mail. Best wishes!

19. mightybooboo

Really good idea,gonna do it.
    BooBoo

20. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

"If milk causes a reaction, it is probably because of the ascaris worm which resides in it. You can kill off the ascaris by bringing the milk to a simmer for ten minutes. After that, you can refrigerate the milk and use it however you want to. "

When you simmer milk, the skin that forms is the albumin and a few of the solids that are in the milk. My folks used to do this for my brother, who was allergic to albumin. He couldn't eat egg whites, either.