Native Texas Landscape

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Alice In TX/MO, Aug 13, 2017 at 9:03 AM.

1. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

oops double post

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017 at 9:29 AM
  2. whiterock

whiterock Well-Known Member Supporter

Look at the book, Native Texas Gardens by Sally Wasowski and Andy Wasowski. Good pics. Sample plans to go with the pics. Suggestions for the different areas. They also have Native Texas Plants. About twice as big , with plans, pics and good plant descriptions.I go with the Hill Country section as I am on whiterock escarpment south of DFW.

I busted my rear trying to have a "pretty" yard for some years. When the house burned most of the landscaping was destroyed by the fire or the fire trucks. I had just had surgery and was in no condition to go through all that again.
    I had a couple of live oaks that survived, a cedar elm and some hackberry and other natives that had come up in fence rows. Some crepe myrtles came back. I used the above mentioned books to redo the yard. My operating theory was theirs, if it dies after you have it out and water it for a year it didn't need to be there in the first place.
    I never water . The only things that get regular water is the tomato and pepper plants. A few years back, about 6 I think, We had drought, and grasshoppers in biblical proportions. There was no grass left in my yard. It looked like the old time swept yards of the past. I did occasionally put some water out on the Live oak in the front of the house so it wouldn't lose too many leaves. It was dry enough that some of the cedar died in the pastures. When it rained again, my grass came back, and the other plants grew more. I lost nothing in the yard. A friend about a mile away in a subdivision had water bills in the $700 range for about 5 months. He kept his things alive and his grass green. I begged him to go native, even bought him copies of the above books. The land his house is on wouldn't grow enough grass to be grazed but about 4 months out of the year when I was growing up. The soil was too thin by then. He now works as a groundskeeper in Dallas, knows the value of native plants, but still shows a blind eye when it comes to his own lawn.

Texas is a huge place and native to East Texas won't do in West Texas or South Texas or the Panhandle. There is an unbelieveable amount of native Texas plants that can get you the look you want without trying to grow foreign plants.

Best suggestion to you is look at those books. I even donated some to the local library as memorials to family members.

no really likes this.

3. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter