National Animal Identification System

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by caprine gal21, Dec 15, 2005.

1. caprine gal21

caprine gal21 Member

Has anyone seen the article about the government's latest scheme to take away more of us self-sufficient folks' freedoms in Countryside's Jan/Feb 2006 issue?
    The article is about the "National Animal Identification System" which is a plan for anybody with animals,whether pets or for raising animals as food for their families. The plan is for ALL animals to be registered through a manditory registration which would be keyed into GPS for locating the farm and kept in a federal database. A second ID number would be needed if you took your animal off of your farm for ANY reason--slaughter, breeding, etc.
    This plan is being put out by the USDA and their timetable would make premises ID and individual animal ID mandatory as of Jan. 1, 2008. There is no assurance that the USDA will not advance (or delay) the previously announced timetable. Individual states may differ in their trial pilot programs, with one example being Wisconsin, which is attempting to compel this by late 2005 to 2006. July 2006 is the purposed target date for the USDA to issue a proposed rule setting forth the requirements for this outragous plan.
    I could go on and on about this, but the best info would be the article titled The "National Animal Identification System": a new threat to rural freedom?. PM me if you would like a copy or find your own Countryside Magazine Jan/Feb 2006.

2. Caelma

Caelma Well-Known Member

Can you copy and paste the artical please?
    Or post a link to it. I misplaced mine.

People, THIS IS SERIOUS and I know we are all talking about it.
    But I am here to tell you, you cannot imagine the number of people, breeders, show people, etc who have no idea about this and look at me like I'm crazy when I tell them.

GET THE word out, post everywhere, tell everyone.
    No one can believe this is possible due to the number of people and funds needed to enforce such an act. They are not hearing about this in their circles, they are not hearing about it on the news.
    Unless we get the word out so people can write and email their congressman and senators, I fear this will come to pass.
    Please get the word out. ID'ing our farms and animals?
    What will be next?

3. bob clark

bob clark A man's man

this will happen because it will be in responce to the health scares ( mad cow ,bird flu ,ect) most if not all of these problems arrose out of corperate farming . when big money got into agricultre production these problems started.

4. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

I've stayed away from posting publicly here for a couple months, but I've followed the messages. Felt there was a rather negative tone around here for a while.....

But, I'll break my silence for a bit.

1. You realize this type of thing has been preposed for a long time, it should actually already be in place according to the original timetable? It is old news to farmers & ranchers.

2. How do you all feel about this issue: Should it not apply to anyone ever? Should it only apply to real farmers & ranches but not 'couple animal' homesteads? Should it apply to everyone everywhere in the country?

I have my own opinion, and I would be considered a small farmer not a homesteader. Curious how you all feel about this.

I'm seeing a _real_ bad issue coming up that none of you have addressed here on these threads in the past, and trying to see if it is real or imagined. :)

--->Paul

5. caberjim

caberjim Stableboy III

My 2 cents. This is an inevitability. It's been in the pipeline for a while and the time to stop it has long passed. Now with the general public scared witless about bird flu and mad cow disease, this is a done deal. No amount of complaining by small farmers will change it - not yelling about big brother or constitutional rights or invasion of privacy - the govt and public does not care.

My concern at this point is the fact that the costs for this is going to be footed by me as the animal owner. According to the legislation, the cost of all this technology and tracking will be the eventual responsibility of the farmer. Now that really ticks me off. The govt institutes a huge project that I don't want to be part of and makes me pay for it. I have no idea how much this is going to eat into my profits. Will it make my goats cost-prohibitive? No one knows and no one is saying. That's my concern.

Complaining now will not stop this. The fed wants it and the individual states are backing it. It is too late. Time to assess the impact and damage.

6. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

Naturally, I'm against this program. It's another way for surveilance to happen and abuses to occur. It will be expensive to micro-chip all of your animals and also it will be a perfect way for the government to track AND tax each and every animal. This is a bad thing and we all need to get vocal about it and to contact our Representatives and Senators and let them know who strongly we feel about it.

7. Caelma

Caelma Well-Known Member

Are there some states backing it and others against it?
    Seems some states do try to stand up to the feds.

It's kind of mind boggling. I was out feeding and cleaning this last 45 mins and all I could do is think about it.
    Sure looking forward to reading others thoughts on this matter.

8. Mr. Dot

Mr. Dot Well-Known Member

9. mamajohnson

mamajohnson Knitting Rocks! Supporter

This has been debated on here for awhile, not news to me...
    do a search on nais,,, there are several threads about it, dating back to october or earlier.. I cant get the link thing to work or I would post links.
    I (and probably others) have already sent protest letters (no answers)
    most folks I talk to around here dont believe me. I have started printing stuff and handing it out... no one seems as bothered as I am, and possibly not as much as ya'll are..
    complacency is a dangerous thing.

10. Mudwoman

Mudwoman Well-Known Member

Won't do any good to contact your Representative or Senator. They stopped carring about We the People a while ago. They think they know what is good for us better than we do.

11. mamajohnson

mamajohnson Knitting Rocks! Supporter

What I told DH is this.... it's getting close to the time when we decide just how far we are going to go with all this stuff, and just when we are going to just say NO!

12. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

I can see both sides, but I do not feel it is necessary. What about the 100 cornish rocks I buy every spring to feed out & butcher for my own use? Am I supposed to chip a bird that will be dead in 6-8 weeks? That is crazy! Any goats I sell get a tattoo or a tag. I don't see why they would need to be chipped unless they are sold & moved a lot. Mine are not making me any money, but I enjoy the fresh milk & the fresh eggs from my chickens. I won't be able to afford some big chipping thing or the thing to read it. We should not be forced to spend the money for something we don't want. If they want to enforce it around here they better be prepared to give out the readers & the things to implant the chips for free because I know most people here won't be paying for it themselves.

13. fernando

fernando Well-Known Member

Can you tell us why you feel the need to be mysterious ?

14. ET1 SS

ET1 SS zone 5 - riverfrontage Supporter

this is all so messed up!

15. travlnusa

travlnusa Well-Known Member

In Wisconsin, the law states you have until 1/1/06 to register anything from a large herd to a single chicken. As of now, household (and outdoor) pets, IE dogs and cats, are exempt.

16. Caelma

Caelma Well-Known Member

geeesh, jumping the gun aren't they?
    So even those who won't leave the premises too?
    Anyone elses state doing this already?

17. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

Saying that a person has until 1-1-06 to register their animals is crazy unless they have sent a letter to every person in the state explaining what they are doing. There are a lot of people that have no idea this is even going on, much less that they have just a couple of weeks left to comply. Not sure what my state is doing. I have a premise ID # already because of the scrapie thing & owning goats. I have no plans on doing anything else. I am not going to even try to get an accurate count on the chickens & guineas I have. I am still just shaking my head at the whole thing!

18. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

My next question is, when will the gov't. require all humans to be chipped?

19. Coloradosteader

Coloradosteader Active Member

Is it just me? I don't plan on bowing down to anybody regarding the health and safety of my family. We are setting up a small homestead in the middle of nowhere and I don't plan on chipping anything except the occasional french onion dip.
    I think many people will go underground with their animals, those who can anyways. If I have a dozen or so chickens and a neighbor wants a couple of chicks so they can have fresh eggs and meat, I'm going to provide that. I see a huge black market forming before our eyes. I can understand a massive agro business having to track their tens of thousands of animals, but us?

Coloradosteader