Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All!

I work as part of the Development Team at Original Media Production in Los Angeles and I am currently in the early stages of development on a new show for The National Geographic Channel that would focus on a small group of Alaskan homesteaders living in the wilderness of Alaska's rural Interior.

I know that over the last few years a lot of the shows produced about homesteaders, Alaskans, and people living off-grid have been heavily sensationalized to the point of not even being real. The goal of this potential project is to offer a 100% authentic depiction of what life is like for homesteaders in rural Alaska. The show would focus on people living a subsistence way of life, getting almost all, if not everything, they need from the land. It would also focus on the benefits of homesteading and going off-grid in today's hectic and volatile Society as it's getting harder and harder to unplug and become self-sufficient.

If you either are or know of anyone who fits the above description, I would love to talk with you about this potential project. I know that there are probably a lot of questions about a project like this. If you message me, I'm more than happy to answer any questions and address any concerns you may have. Ultimately, your feedback will help to guide the direction of this project as we work to make it the most authentic show ever produced about homesteading and living off-grid in Alaska.

I hope you all are well and I look forward to hearing from you soon!

·
Big Front Porch advocate
44,851 Posts
Group, I asked Colin to post in this forum also. He posted in Homesteading Questions, but I thought this forum had people interested in Alaska and these reality shows. National Geographic is a pretty good name to work with.

We've talked of the Alaskan shows and such things over the years. Now is the time to consider doing it as we've talked about in past threads.

And you need to ask about timing if you are considering it, because the schedule is not set yet and it might work out for you.

The thought has crossed my mind. It might cross yours, also.

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
lets see skills...not drama.

·
Premium Member
1,325 Posts
Darned if Alaska doesn't sound inviting, in light of ebola and various other issues.

Sounds like an interesting concept, and I will try watching

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
well if you are with show development i got an idea for you....buschcrafting.

there is a huge audience in that market...making spoons,chairs,camps,hand made various goods,flint knapping etc etc etc....not a survival thing but an enjoyment in the woods type thing...you would get huge views both from u.s. and u.k.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the idea! I am actually very interested in Buschcrafting and started looking into it a few months ago, but was unable to find anyone to reach out too. Do you know of anyone who does Buschcraft regularly that might be interested in talking with me? I would be very interested in exploring that as a show idea.

Feel free to PM me too if you don't want to post anyone's personal info on the forum.

Thank you!

·
Premium Member
15,981 Posts
Is this a documentary type show of people who are already living in Alaska? Or is it like the shows where people are suddenly dropped into an era or lifestyle that is totally new to them?

Reactions: Muleman

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
and dont forget..this is a homesteading forum filled with people that do stuff.

you dont have to go to alaska to get folks that do stuff raising livestock,produce and collecting from the wild ....it goes on in lower 48 too.

theres several people on this site cans over 1000 jars a season

lots of raising and butchering from many.one lady here i know she raised over 200 chickens and processed them herself this summer.

this forum has a several wildcrafters who gather and make goods.

a huge amount of gardeners

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
MAURA this is a documentary type show involving people already living in Alaska.

That being said, I am totally open to involving people who live this lifestyle in the lower 48. Alaska just has a lot more untamed wilderness than anywhere else in the US.

·
Registered
594 Posts
have the homesteaders actually SHOW HOW to make things and each step they take to live off the land. example: if one of the people on the show skins an animal and decides to use the hide to make a leather coat then please show ALL the steps on how to tan the hide and make the coat!!! personally I do not care for reality shows. too much drama!!! I think reality shows could be 100% better than they are.

·
Registered
594 Posts
and dont forget..this is a homesteading forum filled with people that do stuff.

you dont have to go to alaska to get folks that do stuff raising livestock,produce and collecting from the wild ....it goes on in lower 48 too.

theres several people on this site cans over 1000 jars a season

lots of raising and butchering from many.one lady here i know she raised over 200 chickens and processed them herself this summer.

this forum has a several wildcrafters who gather and make goods.

a huge amount of gardeners
elkhound is right on this, you don't need to go to Alaska!!

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
Alaska is just a popular subject now for a lot of people who daydream about the lifestyle but really have no intentions of actually living it. Kinda like daydreaming about going on a hunting trip. You always dream about going to Africa and killing a Elephant, not going in your backyard and shooting a squirrel. Although realistically, shooting a squirrel makes more sense. When your dreaming why set the limit switch on reality, when you can set the switch as high as you want? all the way up to "Never gonna happen"

I remember when I was first married I wanted to move to Montana. I told my wife of all the hunting and fishing and riding (mules of course) that we could do up there. She ask me "What makes you think you would have time to do all those things up there, we have all those things here and you never have time to do them??" I think Alaska right now is that place where the "Grass is always greener" for many. Honestly I am kinda glad, the more move there, the less there are to move here (sorry to all of you guys already living there!!)

·
Registered
423 Posts
MAURA this is a documentary type show involving people already living in Alaska.

That being said, I am totally open to involving people who live this lifestyle in the lower 48. Alaska just has a lot more untamed wilderness than anywhere else in the US.
Sometimes there's more danger from 'tamed' wilderness than untamed..

If you are truly looking for people that can do flint knapping, witching wells with forked sticks, and other skills of that nature, pm me for my phone number..

that being said, I cannot guarantee they would even talk to you about it.. and if they would, it would have to be face to face and hope they like you..

If you are making it about homesteading, take a look around this site, I can count thousands of them here..

If your looking for someone that would pretend, or doesn't know any better than act like a fool on a national t.v. show... keep looking cause we get enough bad publicity from media and other network shows..

·
Registered
356 Posts
I am getting quite tired of these programs - they are all the same:

Alaskan gold diggers, Alaskan loggers, Alaskan airplane pilots, Alaskan law enforcement, Alaskan fishing... Alaskan this, Alaskan that. Way overdone. It's like these channels get on these binges for shows that revolve around a single mundane topic (ghost shows being another good example), when there are so many other areas to explore.

...also, way too much soap opera drama. If I am going to watch reality TV, I want to see reality. Call me cynical, but I think there is a conscious attempt to find the most bizarre people possible to denigrate the lifestyle.

Lots of good ideas presented above. Might be interesting to document the every-day lives of a few families from areas scattered around the country to how things compare based on their locale: how would a family in the Mojave desert cope with growing crops in blazing heat and drought compare to a family trying to grow in a place plagued with permafrost?

...or maybe explore just the desert regions - not many, if any, shows that examine life in that part of the country.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Might be interesting to document the every-day lives of a few families from areas scattered around the country to how things compare based on their locale: how would a family in the Mojave desert cope with growing crops in blazing heat and drought compare to a family trying to grow in a place plagued with permafrost?
Now that sounds interesting!

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Or design an episode around a topic like say raising rabbits for meat, and then go around to different climates and see what kinds of things you have to do to make it work in that climate. (Someone up north has different issues and a totally different set up for their rabbitry than I have here to deal with triple digit heat.) That way viewers get info that might actually relate to their situation. I sometimes enjoy watching how they do things in Alaska, but it teaches me absolutely nothing about how to do it in Texas. And there are not a lot of shows about people homesteading in Texas.

For things that don't change by climate, you can just highlight different techniques that different folks use. There are lots of ways to skin a cat, so to speak.

From artisan type shows (learn a craft or business), to how to make snares and traps (feed yourself in SHTF). You never run out of material. Real people, real knowledge, and (PLEASE!) no naked people.

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
From what I understand the fastest growing segment of television programing today is what is called "scripted reality". Shows that are supposed to be documentary type shows, showing everyday life, but the reality is, they are highly scripted and not much of the content is actual "everyday life". Now, I will give this person some credit, they may be very sincere about what they are wanting to do, in showing real situations. But as with most things, they have bosses, and their bosses have bosses, so by the time an episode hits the TV, it may be far from what the original intent of the people making it had in mind.

Paradox, so you are not wanting to see the first episode of "Naked and Homesteading" ???

·
Registered
423 Posts
I understand most of the reasoning behind scripted reality shows.. Now think about what you have done in the past week... how many chores have you done that you, as a viewer, would find exciting?

It boils down to budget... they can't pay a film crew to follow you around feeding the chickens, gathering the eggs, slopping the hogs, and so on every day this week waiting for a **** to get in the coop, Betsy, the milk cow, to get an infection, and you to run from the back door to shoot the deer running across the field.. (dang what a run on sentience)

But, at least make it realistic...

·
Premium Member
11,554 Posts
Just wondering if the OP has taken a drive, then flight then sled ride to some of these places he's thinking about filming in and got to know the people there and see what it is they really do? Seems asking on a forum with not a lot of Alaskan members is fishing with no hook... Most of the ones as remote as you're looking for have no way to stay in contact often.. Much less hang out on a forum..

Reactions: Muleman
1 - 20 of 21 Posts