Nat Gas Air Conditioning-Does it work?

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Old Jack, Jul 19, 2005.

1. Old Jack

Old Jack Truth Seeker

Trying to gather some opinions here ...
    When I have talked to the locals about it they all tell me it won't work, too much trouble , only for office buildings, can't get parts etc...

Anyone have any experience with it?

2. WanderingOak

WanderingOak Well-Known Member

Are you talking about amonia absorbtion here? I've used an old '30s Servel fridge before. It ran for six months on one 20lb tank, and didn't make any noise at all.

Scaling one up enough to use as an air conditioner might be difficult, unless you are an engineer and know exactly how they work. You will probably have to just about make everything yourself, and fix it yourself when it breaks.

If you have an unlimited supply of gas (I believe you mentioned wells in another posting), you might want to go with a conventional compressor A/C setup powered off of a natural gas powered engine. Reefer trucks use setups like this, only with an industrial diesel engine. Of course, this would be considerably noisier than an absorbtion setup, but if you provided enough sound barriers, you might be able to get around that.

3. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

i have a propane central heat and air unit. is that what you mean?

4. Irish Pixie

Irish Pixie Well-Known Member

We had natural gas for our central air in the house we had before we bought the farm. It worked very well, and the unit (heat and air) was cheaper to use than the old just heat unit we replaced.

Stacy

5. norris

norris Well-Known Member

When people talk about propane central heat and air it usually means that the heating part runs on propane, not the AC. Air conditioners that use propane to do the cooling are extremely rare I think.

6. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

....................Most RV frig's run on either 12vdc or propane , so I don't see why this concept could be scaled UP to any size . fordy.. :clap:

7. rzrubek

rzrubek Flying Z

8. Old Jack

Old Jack Truth Seeker

Stacy, do you remember who made it?

9. Old Jack

Old Jack Truth Seeker