Nasty dog owners should be thrown in jail forever

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Hoop, Apr 15, 2005.

1. Hoop

Hoop Well-Known Member

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/04/15/pitbull.attack.ap/index.html

The person that owns these dogs is no better than a child molester and IMHO, should spend there remaining years in prison.

Fortunately, the courts appear to be headed in the direction of making owners of vicious dogs responsible for their acts. As it should be.

2. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

I whole heartedly agree.

3. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

.............This is Exactly the reason that IF , I decide to bring a Pit into my homestead that (1) it has a domesticated and Friendly attitiude towards People , (2) was NOT bred for a mean temperment which means it wants to both fight and kill anything it decides to attack , (3) my land is completely fenced and (4) I am constructing a 6'x40' fenced dog run that has water and food to sufficiently provide for the needs of the animal while I'm away at work or gone for the greater part of the day . fordy... :)

4. mamajohnson

mamajohnson Knitting Rocks! Supporter

We had a young pit show up on our property. He loved my kids and seemed mild tempererd. I watched him close, he wouldnt leave so I sorta tollerated.
    When our hogs got loose he would round them up, not even being asked to. Then, one day, he tore into all my pens. It was unbeleivable. dead rabbits, chickens and piglets everywhere. I mean massive slaughter.
    Shot the stupid dog dead on the spot. My kids loved him and were begging not to, but all I could think was he's a killer, my kids would be next.
    Pits are very unpredictable. they get a taste for blood and you need to just shoot them. Dont care what anyone says. Their killers. No matter how they are raised. I now only give dogs two chances to live, if they are stray and walk across the property that is one - the wolf hybrids that attacked my dogs and nearly killed a pup got shot the next time he was within range.
    I had warned the neighbor to keep it put up. That was SSS.... (till the coyotes dug him up) :rolleyes:

Anyway, I ramble, point being - they arent worth it, no pit is. They are inherant killers.

5. jerneeon

jerneeon Well-Known Member

Mamajohnson, you are so right. It must have been dificult to do that, but I've heard this happening so often.

I drove a school bus a while back. One child had a pit that seemed very 'good with the kids.' The family doted on that animal, and were shocked when it one day attacked the mailman.

6. GR8LIFE

GR8LIFE Well-Known Member

This whole thing was terrible. I live not that far away from where this happened and it made my blood run cold to think about how awful a way to die it was for that poor woman. My mother is 85 years old and it could have just as easily have happened to her.
    Don't get me wrong. I am a dog lover and, in fact own, show and breed great danes. But I never have my dogs around anyone where I am not totally in control. When we are outside our home, they are on leashes and under my control. When we are home, they are in my fenced back yard and they have never escaped from there because we have a fence that will keep them in there. They are not in any way agressive dogs and you can come in and visit me at my house and pet my dogs, but I am standing there right beside you when you do. As an owner of a dog that is as big as a Great Dane, I accept the responsibility that if it decided to do some harm, it could have a terrible consequence, so I ensure that it does not happen or if the unthinkable does, I am ready to risk my life to stop it.
    Large dogs should not be allowed to run loose and there should be no "accidental releases" from their yard or pen. As a dog owner, we should take that responsibility seriously.
    But, I also have to say, that having been around a lot of dogs in my life because I do go to dog shows and obedience classes, etc., I would never, never own a pitbull. While many of them can be just as sweet as can be, if they decide to go after someone, the power of their jaws and their tenacity to hold on makes them impossible to stop unless you shoot them. I believe they are a breed that should be treated the same as we would a tiger or a bear. You should only be allowed to own them if you are trained and have the correct pen to keep them in. They should never be allowed to roam free, even by accident. No excuses.
    Colleen

7. Ana Bluebird

Ana Bluebird Well-Known Member Supporter

Dogs have been on my mind the last two days. I pick up trash along a three-mile stretch of our road (got tired of looking at the trash, so figured if I didn't pick it up, who would). Anyway this week was my week. Yesterday I came across a trashbag torn open, inside was a full-grown but young dog, looked like a cocker mix and a cat, siamese looking, been dead there a month or so, I'd say. Didn't look like any accident. Then today, just down the road, was a grown young black and white Sheltie mix, been dead about the same time. Something weird going on or what?

8. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

I had a female pitt bull as a pet for 13yrs. She was the Best dog that I've ever had.She never bit anyone,but she certainly made some people wonder.

9. Ozarks_1

Ozarks_1 Well-Known Member

"Dogs are dogs; they're born hunters."

Sorry, folks, but I'm not buying that line.
    I've got a German Shepherd/wolf mix who is a big friendly puppy, great around the animals, and a terror on coyotes. My aunt had a pure German Shepherd that went after the chickens one day and managed to kill three ... which was when my dog broke his collar and tore into the Shepherd. After I broke up the dog fight, I shot the Shepherd.

10. JoyKelley

JoyKelley Well-Known Member

Ana , It sounds like someone is training dogs to compete in "dog fighting" They use live animals to bait and train the dogs, , just like your describing. You should alert the authorities. We were missing a couple cats several years ago, It turned out that just a few miles away they busted up a professional dog fighting group.

11. BeeFree

BeeFree Well-Known Member Supporter

That is a sad story.

I had a german shepard rotti mix. I raised it from a puppie. He was great with the grand kids and every one. He would run deer on the place and hunt them up if you wounded them deer season.

Well, one day I had been to town and came home. We had 3 hogs that we were fattening up in a pen. I heard a commotion out there. Went to see what was happening. My dog along with 2 others, which I had never seen before was tearing those hogs to pieces. I ran to the barn where I knew a single shot 12 ga was located and run back and took aim at 1 of the dogs. Hit it but didn't get it down. The 2 I didn't know run away. Mine came to me acting like he was sorry. I went to check the damage. 2 hogs were down and torn up in places on them. Hubby showed up about that time. He called the processing plant. They said finish the 2 bad hogs off and haul them in. We did. The other one got well and then we had him processed later. My dog got a load of buckshot in between finding out what to do with the hogs.

Shame I didn't have but one shell when I started in on the dogs. Had to hunt up more ammo to do my dog in. Never did see those other dogs again.

12. momlaffsalot

momlaffsalot Well-Known Member

That is such a sad story. I hope the owner gets prosecuted. I had a Kuvasz/shepherd mix that I loved dearly, but as he got older I noticed he was becoming a threat to members of my family. One day my son invited a friend over and my dog lunged at him. He didn't bite him, just cornered him, but when I went to get him away, he turned and snapped and came at me. It was terrible, I felt afraid of my dog. I put him down the next day. Broke my heart, and I take responsibility for getting that kind of dog without knowing what he was capable of.

13. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

Pitbulls and rotts are evidently the "gangsta" or "trendy white trash" dog to have nowadays.

Town trash around here get them and once they become either too difficult to control or their homeowners insurance company finds out and threatens to cancel their policy they dump them out here in the country. A couple of months ago I was getting the mail and I had one of these vicious mongrels damn near take a chunk out of my hide as he chased me into my truck. Thanks to the trusty M4 carbine and Cor-Bon tactical ammo tipped with Sierra BiltzKing bullets he is no longer bothering anyone.

We go though phases of getting dogs dumped around here and when those phases roll around pittbull and rott mixes are now the most frequent of the genetic trainwrecks we get. A few years back it was doberman mixes.

Sad situation there in Virginia. I've seen enough of this type of thing that I can just about guess the type of people who owned these dogs. There are common threads that run through most of these things. That being said there should be some sort of law that any stray dog is picked up by the authorities and euthanized. Beloved pet or not, if it is picked up, the dog is euthanized and the owner is fined at least $1000 plus the cost of the euthanazation. Anyone that has a stray dog on their property should have the authority to destroy the animal by whatever means necessary. Dog owners have been getting away with murder (literally and figuratively) for years and it is time it was stopped.

Dog bites=Dog dead.
    Dog barks and disturbs the peace=owner fined and if it doesn't stop, dog dead
    Dog gets loose=dog dead, owner fined
    Dog kills or maims someone=owner fined and serves term in PMITA prison

14. Rouen

Rouen Well-Known Member

15. Wags

Wags Well-Known Member Supporter

Very true - pit bulls are being falsely maligned. Most people wouldn't know a pit bull if they saw one, and because of the hysteria surrounding the breed right now, they promptly misidentify the attacking dog. I've seen people ID a german shepard and a black lab as a couple of "pit bulls". Think you know how to spot one of these "monsters" take this test and see.... http://www.pitbullsontheweb.com/petbull/findpit.html

We have two pit bulls - one of which was a certified therapy dog and used to accompany me to work at a nursing home until his hip dysplasia got too bad. The old folks there were very excited to see him, and I was surprised at the number who would tell me about the pits that they had on their farm growing up, apparently they were a popular farm dog in the 20's & 30's.

Yes there are badly bred, badly handled dogs of ALL breeds out there, and owners need to be responslibe. Breed Specific Legislation only hurts the owners of good dogs, and does nothing to stop attacks. It just means the bad guys ignore the laws or change breeds.

16. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Gaa! That's nuts. What if someone was on a trip, took the dog out to go the the restroom, something happened and the dog got away for a few minutes, shows up at someones yard with its tail between its legs, DEAD, and to top off your grief, $1000 fine! What if a dog got after a rabbit, went through a hole in the fence behind the hedge bush, DEAD! Grief compacted by $1000 fine. Dog being taken to the vet, confused/scared between car and vet's office (lost a cat like that) DEAD, $1000 fine. Someone steals you dog (it happens). Dog manages to escape, no happy reunion, dog is DEAD $1000 fine.

Things happen, collars come off, dogs get lost, people make mistakes not worthy of the death of a friend and a $1000 fine.

Too many unknowns and variables with a dog that appears to be a stray.

If the dog is aggressive, such as the pack of 5 pit bulls that surround my mom, little sis and me one day, that's another story...

17. John Carter

John Carter Well-Known Member

I dont weigh in often but this happens to be a favorite rnat of mine.
    Pitts are approximately 1% of the american dog population. Pitts account for over 60 % of all fatal dog attacks on humans
    80% of pit bull fatalities are children or the aged. Sobering statistics. Do all Pitts kill? No. But it is a fact that they account for a statisticaly large precentage of fatalities. Can a pomerian kill. Yes.
    The number one biting dog in America is , gasp the cocker spaniel. But I can find no reports of cocker fatalities.
    The Pit was bred to kill Bulls. It was and is a fighting dog. Old Englad variety of gameing. Bull Baiting.
    One comes at me, I wont hesitate to find out its intentions. ITs dead.

18. qtkitty

qtkitty Well-Known Member

Perhaps a puppy mill of sorts?? It makes me mad when people kill animals for no reason .. Expecially if they throw them out of a car . :grump:

Kevin's Dad's Chocolate Lab started with a rabbit .. then went on to a goat... then when they gave him to a guy who had no other animals or livestock near him the dog went after the guy. He was IMMEDIATELY put down.

Now his brother ( they looked like twins they looked so much alike) has a taste for rabbit and has dug up a dead one ... tried to dig up my dead dog that is burried down there .. got atleast 2 of the live pet rabbits they got .. so he is on the fast track to becoming a dead doggie.

I do not think labs are bad though ..our last dog was a Black Lab /Great Dane /Newfoundland Mix, 130lb of pure muscle standing 29 inches at the shoulders. We had 2 kittens no bigger then his paws he did not do anything but lick them. We had a rabbit running free in the house he didn't go after that. WE had a turtle where he could easily get into its cage .. he didn't bother it. We had 3 girls and kids in and out of the house all the time. He was the most calm dog i have ever seen in my life, unless he felt the need to protect then he would have laid down his life for anyone of us, animal or human.

I think that a dogs personality depends on more then just the owner bringing them up right .. but that is one HUGE part of it, but also genes .. if an owner knows the dog could possibly do harm then they should do their best to restrain them. If they can not afford restrains that will control the dog then they do not need the dog PERIOD.

WHY the heck would you want a dog that is mean tempered anyways.. any dog who loves you will protect you and your home and animals.

19. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

It shouldn't be off a leash. If an irresponsible individual let their dog out to run loose and sh*t and p*ss all over the roadside park I would say a dead dog and $1000 dollar fine would be quite appropriate. Don't want it dead or a fine then keep your pet animal under control and clean up after it.

Then the owner would be responsible for not keeping the dog under control. Having an improper fence is no excuse.

The animal should be properly caged or leashed and they wouldn't escape.

If people knew that the consequences of not controlling their pet animals were $1000 fines and destruction of that animal, you would find there would be far fewer instances of collars coming off and lost dogs. If people love their pet animals so much then they should take better care of them.

Frankly, I'm tired of dealing with irresponsible pet owners who don't control or clean up after their pet animals. Worse, I'm tired of people dumping animals in my area so that I and my neighbors or the sheriff have to do the job they evidently didn't have the guts to do. $1000 fines and destruction of the animal would be a great start for cleaning up the problem. I would add that for every repeated violation the fine would increase $1000 and if your pet animal hurt another person the fine would jump to $10,000. If it killed someone the fine would be $100,000 plus victim compensation and a 15-25 year bit in a state PMITA prison. Oh, in a perfect world........<sigh>

I'm not trying to sound harsh but this is one of those festering sore subjects with me and it makes my blood boil. I'm also speaking in generalities and it isn't directed at you or anyone else specifically.
    In other words....Don't take it personally.

20. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Because they weren't actually pits.

Sorry, Quint, but it's cruel. We could severely beat children for touching something they shouldn't, that would work. However, it's cruel and not necessary.

LOL! The cat was caged. Like I said, crap happens.