Nasturtiums

Discussion in 'Plant and Tree Identification' started by sugarspinner, May 5, 2005.

1. sugarspinner

sugarspinner Well-Known Member

Years ago, it seemed to me that all nasturtiums were scented. And, as recently as 5 or 6 years ago, I had scented nasturtiums. Now, I can't find any and am even told they never existed. I love nasturtiums; to pick and enjoy as cut flowers and to eat but I REALLY like the scent of them. Anyone have scented ones and can you give me the name. Are they heirloom?

2. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

Are you talking TRUE nasturtiums, or the common garden variety CALLED nasturtiums? I've alway grown the garden variety and have never noticed a smell/odor/aroma from them, just a taste of horseradish.

3. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

I have never seen or heard of scented nasturtiums. The only nasturtiums I'm familiar with are orange/yellow/red, have a peppery flavor, and attract thrips like you wouldn't believe (which keeps them off the pole beans).

Is that the same sort of flower you're thinking of?

4. Bink

Bink Well-Known Member

Are you possibly thinking of geraniums? I know I get the two flowers confused in my mind. :)

5. blufford

blufford Well-Known Member Supporter

My folks had a greenhouse where they grew and retailed African Violets. More than one person walked inside (the greenhouse) and exclaimed how wonderful all the violets smelled. Some even held them up to their nose and took a deep whiff and told us how wonderful the aroma was. It would have been rude to tell them that african violets don't have a scent. I'D Love to be the grower that hyberdized a scented variety. There would be alot of money to make and alot of bragging rights with it.

OKay, sorry, you can have your thread back!!!

6. vicki in NW OH

vicki in NW OH Well-Known Member

Nasturiums do have a sweet scent, but I am wondering if it is related to weather conditions. Cool, sunny weather brings out the best scent in flowers. Usually I grow the kind that will trail all over the place.