nasturtium seeds

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Christina R., Oct 1, 2006.

1. Christina R.

Christina R. Well-Known Member

Our flowers are growing seed pods. What is the best way to save them in order to replant next year. Does anyone have an idea on what the germination rate might be or are we better off just buying seeds next year? Thanks.

2. kitty32_z8

kitty32_z8 Well-Known Member

OH no they germinate real good. You can wwait til they turn brown or pull them off when they are ready to pop off and let them air dry til ttttan/brown. Sotre in an envelope. You might look into winter sowing them. I do this every year with a high rate of success.
    OH - almost forgot dont forget to label the envelope..lol.

3. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

Nasturtiums don't make seed pods, only large seeds. Usually there are 3 to a cluster. Once they are fully formed, they are viable even if they have to be picked green. I haven't planted them for a number of years but always end up with a few volunteers. This reminds me to check for seeds tomorrow so I have some in case nothing comes up next year.

Martin

4. culpeper

culpeper Well-Known Member

They germinate readily - like a weed. In my little garden, I've got nasturtiums popping up in the most unexpected places, even in the cracks between concrete pavers. I pull out dozens of them from time to time.

But here's some information for you - but I don't believe any of it is necessary!! I've never had to do ANYTHING to get nasturtium to grow! If mine happened to die, I only have to walk to the nearest creek (about 100 metres) and collect some of what's growing wild there. It's perilously close to being classified as a declared noxious weed in my part of the world (Queensland, Australia).

Sow seed in early spring. They need to be kept in a dark place to germinate but can be sown in situ, 5mm deep. For best results, shake seeds in dry sharp sand or nick carefully with a file. Soak seeds 1-2 days or until swelling is noticeable. Sow at 18-22°C for 2-4 weeks, move to –4-+4°C for 4-6 weeks, then move to 5-12°C for germination. Germination usually occurs within 10-15 days. Seeds are viable for only a short time. Nasturtium does not transplant well.