Nanny and kid arriving Monday

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Cheryl in SD, May 13, 2005.

1. Cheryl in SD

Cheryl in SD Living in the Hills Supporter

May I join in the discussion here? We have decided to get a nanny and kid. They are not related, the kid is weaned, the nanny is not milking and will be ready to breed in the fall.

I need advice. I have been around cattle, not goats. So anything will be appreciated!

Thanks,
    Cheryl in SD

2. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

What breed?
    Is the kid male Female?
    Goats have lots more personality than cows :)

Is your nanny in milk?

My advice is lots of good hay and attention...fresh clean water and loose mineral salts and visit this site....www.fiascofarm.com

Congrats!

3. Cheryl in SD

They are nubin/boer (did I spell that right?) cross. The nanny is milking and giving about 1/2 a gallon a day. The kid is not related but from the same herd.

Thanks for the website.

Cheryl in SD

4. dscott7972

dscott7972 Well-Known Member

I have mostly Nubians, one Toggenburg, a few mutts and a Nubian/Boar (my best goat). They can quickly become pets! Its been hard for me to sell when the herd gets too big for my small acerage! I grew up on a dairy (cattle) farm and although I like cows goats are, as the other poster said, more persenable.
    Give us some specific questions and you'll get plenty of answers. I persanally have been helped alot by the book "Story's Guide To Raising Dairy Goats".

5. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

Yes, please do join the discussion here! There are folks here from all walks of life, so to speak. Many are new to goats, many are very experienced, many raise goats as pets, many raise goats for show, some for meat, fiber or whatever. No question is too "stupid". The www.fiascofarm.com website is good. I like to click on "site map" at the top to get going. You can run google searches for your particular breeds too. Welcome....Diane

6. Cheryl in SD

Specific question #1

:D Out my back door is a fenced area. I have coyotes. Not as in there are coyotes in the area, and you hear stories, as in every morning between 8-10 a pack comes through the yard, then somewhere between 4-6 in the evening, they come back through again. SOOOO, the plan is to keep the goats in close during the night and until the daily trek is over. Keep the dog out to ward off the coyotes during the day.

This is a temporary measure until we can get the coyote proof barn built.

All that was explaination. Here's the question....

The yard has had the dog in it when we go to town for the day. We have kept it cleaned and I just went and did a through raking job on the grass. Would there be any danger to the goats from the dog having been in that yard? I wouldn't want to transfer anything to them unnecessarily.

We, of course, won't be putting her there now. And this should only be for a couple of weeks as we get the permenant set up in place.

Thanks,
    Cheryl

7. Cheryl in SD

Someone said specific questions, so here is

Specific question #2...

What do they EAT???

I mean I know grass. The present owner said hay and grain. What kind of hay? What kind of grain? How much?

Thanks,
    Cheryl

8. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

Goats are pretty picky.....they wont eat near dog crap.

Good hay is a must. Moldy hay or feed will kill them. Never seen one eat a tin can.

A good 16% animal feed will suffice. 1-2 lbs a day with good hay/pasture. You may want to ask what grain the previous owner was feeding and continue that one....also ask about hay suppliers...maybe you could buy a couple bales when you get the goats.

I'd be leery of coyotes but hopefully you leave your dog loose on patrol. I always lock my goats in when I am in coyote country with the goats. Not big problem here but summer time we visit my parents and our cabin in wilder areas. Bears have also woofed us out....

Be sure to watch your dog to make sure he gets along with goat and vice versa...a grumpy goat will nail an unwary dog pretty hard...and the dog will bite back...usually in the goats face. I have a hair-lipped goat from the experience.

The easiest way to know if your goats are doing good is by how much the eat and how their poop looks.....like wild raisins all over the ground and the dog will eat them more than likely.