Name this plant.

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by hayseed882, May 13, 2005.

1. hayseed882

hayseed882 Active Member

Can anyone help me name this plant that is invading my space . Its faily short - about 4 to 6 inches tall . Almost like a ground cover . The leaves are about as big as a quarter , maybe 1/2 dollar and heart shaped . In the spring it has a purple flower . Its very nice looking in the spring but its taking over my flower garden ,they are in my grass and its popping up in my veggie garden also . Very invasive. Anybody know how to get rid of them ? I pulled a bunch last year but Im not winning the battle .... yet.

2. Tater'sPa

Tater'sPa Well-Known Member

3. wizzard

wizzard future nomad

i would also guess violet, we have some also..

4. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

Sounds like Creeping Charlie/Ground Ivy/Gill-over-the-Ground or a lot of other not so nice names. If so, it was indeed formerly used as ground cover in Europe as mint lawns. But it turned out to be a real scourge when it was brought to these shores. Normal lawn herbacides won't kill it. It has to be something with Trimec in it.

Martin

5. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

what shape is the flower? how many petals, cup shaped, trumpet-shaped, etc.

if it is gill over the ground, seems like it would be something to encourage. it is a nice ground cover.

6. hayseed882

hayseed882 Active Member

COMMON VIOLET ! - Thats IT!! -And As much as I enjoy the purple flowers in the spring , I will have to do something about them . I dont know how they got in my flower garden but when I first remember seeing them , they where confined to a little area on one side of the bed . Now , like I said earlier , they are everywhere . Maybe instead of just pulling on them and leaving most of the root in the ground , like I've done in the past , I will need to dig up the root and all .
    Well , I appreciate all the info everyone . Thanks