Name this plant

Discussion in 'Plant and Tree Identification' started by featherbottom, Jan 26, 2005.

1. featherbottom

featherbottom Well-Known Member

2. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Looks like wild lettuce. Does it get a stalk with yellow flowers? White, milky sap with bitter taste?

3. Cyngbaeld

Well, you could eat it if you were truely desparate for greens! It is bitter and tough. And it seeds like mad. I'd pull it and throw it in the compost before it goes to seed and pick up a good lettuce variety to plant. If you want some black seeded simpson lettuce I'll send you some.

4. inc

inc Well-Known Member

brassica. looks like a cultivated variety like daikon. have you dug up any roots?see if it flowers in four petals

5. inc

inc Well-Known Member

plant looks hugh next to that seedling- am i seeing it to scale-foot across or better?

6. sundew

sundew Active Member

Db,
    Did ya ever pull up one plant to see what the roots look like? I am still wondering what it is! Amazing how many plants that are soo similar to your pic. Did ya taste a leaf? What does it smell like when you crush a leaf.
    Will drive me crazy if the plant is not identified!! So please please, someone .....
    I'm going nuts as it looks close to my radish, which have large follage as they are fall planted and ready now to eat.

sundew

7. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

my first thought was poison parsnip but leaves are to rounded. may be mustard or canola. if you feed wild bird seed there are many different weed type seeds in this mix.

8. inc

inc Well-Known Member

poison parsnip might be a water plant- but big important note- the plants related to carrot(fluffy white/green umbel flowers) are very very dangerous to taste.altho this plant looks like a brassica to me.
    the ohter plant family to worry about is lilium, especially out west, white or green six poointed blooms.

9. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

poison parsnip grows every where!worse sting than poison ivy or oak. mustard and canola are brassica. had found a good photo id site but lost in the murck of time!

10. Cyngbaeld

11. healing herbals

healing herbals Pam in OK

12. shorty'smom

shorty'smom Well-Known Member

If you take a bit of the root and smash it up does it smell like horseradish?

I have some in my yard that had cut margins like that. Most pictures of horseradish you see have leaves that aren't like that.

13. elle

elle Member

hi it looks like dandelions to me, they have the same kind of leaves and they have small yellow flowers growing close to the ground mostly found in peoples yards,makes a great summer salad or wine..

14. OD

OD Well-Known Member

That's what I was thinking--a really healthy, well-fed dandelion.