Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I hear it in the summer/fall trees as night, but it sounds more like a frog, or a really big cricket.

The sound is a low, gravely, jibb-jibb....jibb-jibb....jibb-jibb...jibb-jibb non-stop, at intervals of a couple of seconds.

If we make a noise it stops instantly, but will start again a few seconds later.

A bird? if so what?

·
hillbilly in training
255 Posts
Those katydids make a racket. I thought they were tree frogs until I figured out what was making all that noise, couldn't see the things in the trees because they blended in so well.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I'm guessing from the description tree frog or cricket. None of those previously posted noises sounded at all like a tree frog to me. But then I've held them and heard them peep. Our deck is eat up with them near any lights.

·
Premium Member
11,250 Posts
You remind me of a poem or short story about the mysterious "Dibb Dibb" that sounded during the night. It goes on about how monstrous a creature it must be and it eventually is discovered to be a dripping faucet.

I can't remember who wrote it, (Poe? Elliot?) and a quick online search shows nothing.

·
Premium Member
12,677 Posts
If you've ever had a cricket in the house at night, you'd know if that was the sound. You might even have a cricket hunting adventure story to share.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts