Name the most versatile animal on planet.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by cabe, Mar 30, 2005.

1. cabe

cabe Well-Known Member

Something fun...in your opinion what is the most versatile animal on this planet.An animal that can be anywhere(almost)and live well. We humans do not count. Marty.

2. Ragamuffin2004

Ragamuffin2004 Well-Known Member

Lice - I've read how that can survive even near the North Pole. As long as they have a nice warm blooded animal, i.e. fox, human, they can live very well. :rolleyes:

3. cabe

cabe Well-Known Member

Good one!Scary but good, thanks and hopefully we will get some more opinions so we can compare. My choice came after observing a creature this winter. Marty.

4. silentcrow

silentcrow Furry Without A Clue

I would think the rat...unless you wanna talk bugs, then it's roaches. Both are very adaptable

5. cabe

cabe Well-Known Member

Good one too, but can either of these fly long distances, swim underwater very well, on the water, and walk on land? Also are they omnivores?Last but not least, have you ever seen any of these you have named playing like it was summer in an almost blizzard, but playing in Florida also. Comfortable everywhere, loved by man,and really good watch dogs also.What is the creature? :rolleyes:

6. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

I'd have to say that darn barn cat we apparently have is pretty high up on my list--the fact that he can spray all over the place through a Maine winter without me EVER having laid eyes on him has me pretty convinced. :no:

7. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

The common cow as they provide meat and milk also power in the form of Oxen.

8. Xandras_Zoo

Xandras_Zoo Well-Known Member

I WOULD have guessed the rat too. So what, they can't fly, but they CAN swim, they can eat just about anything, they multiply super fast, they can fight, they're quite smart, very hardy and even have a complex social system. They can survive in city, farm, woods, fields, etc. etc.

I also agree with roaches. Aparently, they can survive a nucular explosion. FuNkY

Crows are also pretty adaptable, but they can't swim

Cougars are the most widespread wild cat. ( I think)

Dogs are pretty good! But they can't fly...

K, so I've narrowed it down. If it can fly, it either would be a bat or a bird. Bats aren't omnivores, and they aren't particularly loved by man. So, I'm not gonna guess a bat. That means a bird. Now someone else can finish 'er off.

9. coydog

coydog Well-Known Member

10. crashy

crashy chickaholic goddess

OK let me guess....a goose or a duck?

11. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

An insect: " Water Bears" It can handle the coldest temperatures all the way up to an oven, doesn't die. It just kind of loses some water, and later revives when conditions are right.

[​IMG]

(From:http://biology.usgs.gov/features/learningrm/water_bear.html)
    This creepy "water bear" has forced scientists to reconsider their definition of what's "alive." When unable to find water, this insectlike critter (which is the size of a grain of sand) stops moving, breathing, and eating. Even its cells shut down. Dead as a doornail, right? Wrong! Add water and the critter springs back to life. Scientists have exposed dried-up water bears to extreme heat, bitter cold, and even massive doses of radiation -- and the teeny animals still revived. The key to the critters' survival may be a sugar they produce as they dry out. By coating structures inside and between the critters' cells, the sugar keeps the cells from sticking together and breaking. When water is added, the sugar dissolves -- and the creepy crawlies burst back into action. --E.C.

Aren't God's creatures amazing?!

12. bare

bare Head Muderator

Yous guys has it all rong.

Isda hog!

You can eat it.
    You can fry yer eggs in it.
    You can make soap outa it.
    Heckfire ya can SMOKE it!
    It can eat you.
    It can survive without humin beans anywhere.
    It'll eat yore weeds.
    It'll rototill yer garden.
    It'll rototill yer neighbors garden.
    It'll ferteliz ever bodys garden.
    It'll get rid of yer garbage.
    It'll show you every weekness in yore fence.
    It'll get yer dander up.
    It'll make ya wonder how it gets that corkscrew thing in ther.
    It'll teach ya to have a good time even if yer standin' in a swamp of poop.
    Most of all tho, it'll make ya go Ah, it's so cute!

13. OldYellersGhost

OldYellersGhost Well-Known Member

Oh no. The Kamoto dragon wasn't in the top 10?

14. aaatraker

aaatraker Well-Known Member

I think there are three that will be around at the end of time ant, cock-roach, coyote.

15. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

Add the seagull to that list. They even come here where I live, about 150 miles inland!

Meg

16. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

i think it is a pig, but they only fly sometimes.

17. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

I have to go along with Meg Z on Sea Gulls.
    We have them here, which is quite a bit inland, and they fly far, swim well on and under water, walk well on land and eat about anything. The garbage dumps are full of them, and then they spend the nights on the lakes or ponds. Plenty of them are seen on farmers fields picking at manure, seed, bugs, worms or anything 'omnivorous'. They'll laugh at a blizzard and hang around until the lakes freeze up.
    Yup...gotta be Sea Gulls. More specifically in this area called 'Herring Gulls', but I'm sure they are distributed pretty much around the world, even the hight Arctic and Antarctica.....right?

18. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

C'mon its sheep that are the most versatile! They can produce lamb, wool (too may uses to list from clothing to housing!) , hides (and a kind of velum paper from the inner skin if I remember right) , milk, haggis (OK that may be a negative) cosmetics, and theropudic products like lanolin, and placenta skin products. I think sheep's horn is ground into something too. Sheep have been used to control weeds in re-forestation projects, and parks because they don't normally prefer the trees or shrubs like goats. They have been trained to pull carts and power teadmill driven equipment. They can survive in frozen mountain areas and near desert conditions. They were first domesticated animal, and the most numerous world wide.

19. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

sheep , no way, any animal that can up and die cause of bugs in its fur eating through to its flesh is jsut wrong, got to be the goat !
    come on, they butt each other , they give milk meat, reak down any fence if given the chance, and still we love em !

20. wy0mn

wy0mn Transplanted RedNeck

Canis utiliticus..
    Pet, hunting tool , bed warmer, shepherd, security guard, porter, baby sitter, and in hard times... entree.