Name that Weed

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Chuck, Aug 4, 2004.

1. Chuck

Chuck Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm trying to learn the names of all the plants on my property. Some of them I can't find in the various books and such that I've checked out from the library. So, I'm coming to you all for help! I'll continue posting these until I have everything categorized, and you can feel free to post your own "Name that Plant" question. If you know what a plant is, please post it, and any information you know about it, such as:

What it is related to
    Uses for the plant
    Whether or not it is edible
    Recipes?
    Etc.

So for your first assignment, someone tell me what the heck this weed is. I found it growing in the middle of the patch of wild peppermint that keeps me in tea all summer long. It is in a low, wet, but sunny area. It is currently about five feet tall with a thick stalk that is kinda furry.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Looks like Giant Ragweed to me.

3. greyhound girl

greyhound girl Well-Known Member

Chuck - I believe that weed is what is known (around here - SE Ohio) as Horseweed. At least that's what the old timers call it. My goats love it and I am told the horses do also, but I haven't tried it with them. I have some that is close to 8 ft. tall!

4. Chuck

5. Chuck

6. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Cabin Fever is correct! giant ragweed, grows to 12 to 15 feet on fertile moist soil, less in less fertile dry areas. Leaves in pairs on coarse stems, 3 to 5 large lobes.

7. Chuck

Is it poisonous?

8. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

ragweed.. yup.

dont let it flower, youll sneeze like mad.

next weed?

9. Marcee

Marcee Active Member

It is giant ragweed, and my horse and goats do love it. I, for my part, prefer it to the poison parsnip, but it isn't too great still.

Now, the smaller version of ragweed, according to my book A MODERN HERBAL by Mrs. M. Grieve, is used for (and maybe this could apply to the bigger stuff, but who knows):

the leaves were used for:emoillient poultices; a good green dye, not permanent.

flowers: boiled in water give a fair yellow dye to wool preiously treated with alum.

Whole plant is bitter and aromatiic, of an acrid shaprness, but the juice is cooling and astringent, and of use as a wash in burns, inflammations of the eye, and also in sores and cancerous ulcers--hence one of the old names, Cankerwort. It is used in relieving rheumatism, sciatica and gout, a poultice of the green leaves being applied to painful foints and reducing the inflammation and swelling. It makes a good garbgle for ulcerated thrat and mouth, and is said to take away the pain caused by the sting of bees.

A decoction of the root has been reputed good for inward bruises and wounds. In some parts of the country Ragwort is accreditedwith the power of preventing infection.

As for me, it is such a nasty weed here, being just behind the poison parsnip and the burdock, that I would rather just feed it to the animals than mess with it myself. Of course, if it was marketable, we would make a fortune.

10. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

Don't smoke that one.

11. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Gosh, I hope horses THRIVE on it cause we're got tons of the stuff here.

12. greyhound girl

greyhound girl Well-Known Member

GIANT RAGWEED!!! WOW! I would never have guessed that one. But my source says it is called Horseweed down here. But not the Mare's Tail kind. All the weeds seem to be called something different where I live. Joe Pye weed is called Queen of the Meadow. I moved to SE Ohio from NE Ohio - so I am still learning.