Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's another one growing along our back fence. It's tall and skinny - some of them are over ten feet high! (I really need to get the mowing done.)

·
In Remembrance
28,242 Posts
Do the leaves smell of anything particularly?

·
Premium Member
3,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not a thistle, not a mustard. Maybe I should post another picture to give you an idea of the scale. Seriously, this thing is ten feet tall!

·
Premium Member
18,136 Posts
DO the stems kinda look like rhubarb stalks?

If so, I'd say that it is common burdock.

·
In Remembrance
28,242 Posts
I didn't think the leaves were quite like bearsfoot? Thought it might be Crambe Cordifolia (sea kale), but you said it isn't a mustard? The leaves look kind of like bear's breeches, but the flower is wrong.

·
Premium Member
3,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
definitely not sea kale. I'm headed out to take a better picture now...stand by.

·
Premium Member
3,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here's another picture of one of the smaller plants:

I also noticed that it is flowering out at the top into tiny whitish/purple flowers.

·
In Remembrance
28,242 Posts
Think it might be wild lettuce?

Edited to add

I've seen it a lot in western colorado, growing in the desert. It can get over 4 ft tall with very little water. When you break it off, do you get a milky sap?

·
Premium Member
3,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think Cybergeld (whatever!) got it! It is definitely some type of wild lettuce.

I almost thought I had you guys stumped on that one! Check out the link, it appears this plant has all sorts of medicinal uses!

Next!

·
In Remembrance
28,242 Posts
The prarie dogs eat this stuff all the time. I think it must make them a little high. Then they start playing 'chicken' in the highway.

My name means 'King Bold' in Old English. It is pronounced 'King Bald' with a long 'a'.
Just thought you'd want to know. :haha:

·
Premium Member
3,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
the flowers aren't pokey though, so it can't be teasel.

the ones on this plant weren't really open yet, so they might end up yellow...I'll have to go check.

·
agmantoo
10,852 Posts
Chuck, when you are near this plant break off a piece and smell it please. I still think we are wrong!

·
Registered
232 Posts
its the hippy trippy pod plants from Omicron Ceti 3..

correct.
virosa wild lettuce has been used as an 'opium substitute' in the 70s or 80s. at least, some were said to have made a lot of money off it, as it can produce a material tat LOOKS like raw opium.
however, ive eaten plenty andther is no narcotics in it.
plant owner- is there any way i can get seeds of this plant form you? it appears to be a form fo lactuca florida and i dont have that one, only virosa. you will have to get seeds in july aug., old ones dont sprout.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts