Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Y'all are so good at botany that I thought I'd get into the action :haha:

Not really a weed - but I've been making some landscaping plans lately and I saw what I think are some variety of oak trees that I really thought were pretty at a business in Dallas, but I don't know what kind they are. I picked a leaf for identification and have been scrolling through the pictures on the USDA plants database site, but I cant find any that look exactly like it. These trees were still very young, probably 30 feet high, straight trunked, and quite slender for their height. Here's a scan I made of the leaf. Please notice that the upper left piece is broken off..

·
In Remembrance
28,242 Posts
need a password to access that site.

·
Premium Member
17,383 Posts
Stand, it works for you because you are a member, I couldn't open it either.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
O.K, that was my bad. That section of that forum is not publically viewable. I had forgotten that.

I guess I need to set up a photobucket account. I'll edit it out of my earlier post until I do.

Ok, I got it on photobucket now, let me know if that's working

·
Head Muderator
1,857 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,069 Posts
That is most definitly a Pin Oak, a member of the red oak family.

·
Premium Member
3,284 Posts
Great! Keep it going, folks! If we get enough interest in these things, I'll give them their own "tree and plant identification" forum.

·
Premium Member
3,284 Posts
To know if it is a pin oak for sure, you'd have to look UNDER the leaf, at the little V's where the lines on the leaf come together. If there's a tiny bit of fuzz there, it's a pin oak.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Stand_Watie said:
Y'all are so good at botany that I thought I'd get into the action :haha:

Not really a weed - but I've been making some landscaping plans lately and I saw what I think are some variety of oak trees that I really thought were pretty at a business in Dallas, ...
It looks a pin oak to me. We are from the Great Lakes area so I don't know how they would do in Texas.

Oaks sure are pretty in the fall!
Ann

·
agmantoo
10,852 Posts
Rather than a pin oak I think it is a scarlet oak. A scarlet oak has more of a C between the lobes on the leaves where a pin oak has more of a U IMO

1 - 11 of 11 Posts