Homesteading Forum banner

Name that Weed - ground ivy

2K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  inc 
#1 ·
All right! You guys are batting a thousand so far, and I'm learning a ton about the weeds in my yard. I like this!

Here's the next contestant - it grows low to the ground, is sorta viney, and is trying to take over what I euphemistically call "my lawn."

See less See more
#8 ·
Boy, I guess I'll have to go out and do some more checking in the morning. I think it's ground ivy, but there are a lot of others that are extremely close. Pennyroyal is out, though I think that's what I've been making mint tea out of all summer... 8) Glad I read about it, turns out I shouldn't be drinking so much of it. That explains the dizzyness, spasms and coma I've been experiencing. I thought it was the political commercials!

I'll have to go nose around in the stuff tomorrow and see if it's minty!

#10 ·
Ground Ivy also commonly known as creeping Charlie, Creeping Jenny, gill-over-the-ground, and haymaids.

Has purpley flowers in spring.

cut and paste-
Properties: Medicinal and edible, a light taste very agreeable in salads. Ground ivy is used in alternative medicine and is an excellent spring tonic, it is an appetite stimulant. It contains a volatile oil which aids in relieving congestion and inflammation of mucous membranes associated with colds, flu, and sinusitis. It is Anti-allergenic, Antibacterial, Anti-flu, Antihistaminic, Anti-inflammatory, Antioxidant, Antiseptic, Antispasmodic, Antiviral, Cancer-Preventive, Expectorant, Immuno-stimulant, and Sedative. Ground ivy tea or juice is well tolerated and can be given to small children. Some of the most valuable plant constituents are 1,8-cineole, alpha-pinene, apigenin, beta-sitosterol, borneol, caffeic-acid, ferulic-acid, hyperoside, iodine, luteolin, menthol, oleanolic-acid, rosmarinic-acid, rutin, ursolic-acid. Ground-Ivy is being studied for use in preventing Leukemia, Bronchitis, Hepatitis, many kinds of cancer, and HIV. The fresh juice or a medicinal tea is used to treat digestive disorders, gastritis, acid indigestion, and diarrhea. It is also beneficial for liver and kidney function, said to relieve gravel and stones. Although results are not conclusive it is being used as an antidote for lead poisoning. Added to bath as an emollient to soften skin and has a sedative effect.

Folklore: Ground ivy has a long history of use in alternative medicine and as an edible herb, dating back to the first century A.D. it was long considered a panacea (cure-all). Known for it’s hi vitamin C content it is said to be one of the first herb and edible plants brought to the North American continent by early settlers.

TRY THESE RECIPES

Spring Tonic: Steep 2 tsp. of fresh or dried herb in 1 cup water for 10 min. flavor with peppermint or honey to taste take in ½ cup doses twice a day.

Colds and flu: Express fresh juice with press. Take in 1 tsp. doses 3 times a day, ½ tsp. for children. Use 2 or 3 drops in nose twice a day for sinusitis.

#13 ·
Hi Y'all

Ground Ivy has been used in brewing Beer or Ale, in Colonial Times.
As have young Spruce tree tips.
They have both been used as a preservative & flavouring, when Hops
were not available.
I have a friend who brews Beers with all sorts of herbs, replacing Hops,
because he doesn't like the bitterness.
And, because Hops have a reputation, according to the old Herbal Books,
for having an Anti-aphrodisiac effect on men.
Actually though, his Beers & Ales just taste "Strange & Nasty".
Herbs are an interesting study. But, you can't believe all you read,
in old books.

#17 ·
My favorite name for it is 'Gill over the ground". Sounds real 'old world'. All of the mints have a tendency to not seed 'true'. That is why they are usually sold as plants. It isn't unusual for one plant of a variety to have an excellent flavor and another to be bland or nasty tasting. You can start it from seed, then choose the best flavored ones and propagate from plants.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.