Name that Plant!

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by jillianjiggs, Aug 5, 2004.

1. jillianjiggs

jillianjiggs Well-Known Member

There's a plant around here that has the most beautiful flowers. It's a bulb and you normally find it in old cemeterys, older folks yards, etc. The flowers are pink and smell like Mr. Bubble bubble bath. I want to say it's a lily, but I'm really not sure. Most people use the common name 'naked lady.' Any ideas?

2. kentuckyhippie

kentuckyhippie Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't know what the scientific name is but they are called surprise lilies or naked ladies. They get that name because the foliage comes up in early spring, stays green about a month then dries up and dies then when all trace of the flower is gone, suddenly you get these naked spikes of lilies and they really are a surprise because there will be no sign of them then within three days you will have a lily two feet high. You can dig the bulbs in the fall of the year and plant them and they will usually bloom the following year. Also they don't have to be in a flower bed. I have mine along the edge of the yard and they come up thru the grass and do beautifully.

3. jillianjiggs

jillianjiggs Well-Known Member

I'm thinking of adopting a plot to clean up and replant at the historic cemetery downtown. I thought they might be a nice touch. From what I just read, they leaf out in early summer, and then in mid to late summer they bloom.

[​IMG]

4. Gayle in KY

Gayle in KY Gadabout

[​IMG]

This is the flower of the Naked Lady and or Hurricane Lily (Lycoris squamigera) of the Amaryllis family. It's slender, greenish brown, leafless steams rise from the ground in late summer to early fall. They are topped with loose clusters of funnel shaped, rosy pink flowers up to 4 inches. Zone 5-9. Uses: Beds, borders, pots, cut flowers.

5. rwjedi

rwjedi Member

Around here we call them Resurrection Lillies. I love them. Just wish they spread faster. :)

6. Gayle in KY

Gayle in KY Gadabout

Resurrection Lillies! That's what I've heard them called!

I couldn't do an image search for 'Naked Ladies'. LOL