Name That Fruit!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Leslie, Aug 22, 2004.

1. Leslie

Leslie Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I am here in north Texas and discovered a couple of trees growing on a friends property. They have lived on this site for over 30 years and didn't plant them. The trees are about 12 feet tall and rather skinny, not much canopy. They have ripe fruit on them that is slightly larger that a grape and has a pit like a plum. They are pinkish. They are very very tart. Cherries don't usually grow here so I'm at a loss. I'd like to try to make jelly from them but it would be helpful if someone had some ide what they might be.
    Thanks,
    Leslie

2. katydidagain

katydidagain Adventuress--Definition 2 Supporter

Okay, Leslie, I'll guess and bump this for you; the experts are coming.... :haha:

Persimmons come to mind but the "pit" is different. Could they be native plums? I ditched mine the 2nd year they bore; I wasn't impressed but my growing space is very precious so I cull stuff often. (I still don't know why I still have that stupid apricot!) Very small fruits but probably nice jelly or jam especially if the main ingredient is free.

katy

3. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't claim to know either. I knew people that were living north of Ft Worth who mentioned a plum thicket on the back of their place, but I never seem them.

4. Gayle in KY

Gayle in KY Gadabout

5. Gayle in KY

Gayle in KY Gadabout

BTW the site says they get up to 8 ft. tall, but that's a load. I have them all over my place and they are considerably taller than that.

6. Leslie

Leslie Well-Known Member

Thanks for the pics!!!! It is the Native Plum. Now I know how to can them. Thanks to everyone who replied.
    Warmest Regards,
    Leslie

7. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

We used to have a couple of those trees. Our pet deer would eat them. It was funny to watch, chew, chew, pit falls out the side of the mouth, swallow. :) Goofy little thing. The trees eventually died, the fruit always had worms holes in it, we never did anything to the trees, just let them be.

8. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Gayle- Everything is bigger in Kentucky.