1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What one best thing that you made, or built yourself , that
has really made it worth having for useful work on your
homestead?

For me, hands down, is the semi automatic poultry plucker.
I put it together from a kit and parts/cabinet I had kicking around
the place over 15 years ago. It's served to pick clean hundreds
of fowl from small chickens to giant turkeys and geese. I just
am left to do about 25 morr ducks, 15 chickens , a large goose
and maybe the odd hunter waterfowl this season.

I already processed 10 large ducks, 25 Cornish 6 lb . Chickens
and the adventure continues with store quality picked clean
birds and Time savings.

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
woodshed !

·
Registered
726 Posts
Does my cabin and outbuildings count? Everything here I built. It was dirt and sagebrush when I started. I hired equipment for the hard things, such as to have a well drilled, hired a guy to trench the water line and power to the cabin, but everything that was hands on, I did. I set all the power and water lines in place, and handbuilt everything here. I love it and wouldn't trade it for anything.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Does my cabin and outbuildings count? Everything here I built. It was dirt and sagebrush when I started. I hired equipment for the hard things, such as to have a well drilled, hired a guy to trench the water line and power to the cabin, but everything that was hands on, I did. I set all the power and water lines in place, and handbuilt everything here. I love it and wouldn't trade it for anything.

Whoa.

Thank you for helping me set new goals.

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've built 3 poultry coops and large pens plus one in the
barn I now keep layers in. They are surely useful, though
ain't nuthin' like that workhorse plucker. When it broke down
I picked miserably by hand with depression and disdain.
The effect of a 'broke' chicken coop don't have the same
mysery.

·
Registered
205 Posts
For home, a 30 cord wood shed. Only paid for 6 bags of sackcrete. The pig shack, pump house and barn too. The woodshed was the most fun to build with the kids though, makes it my favorite of all of them, we had a great time building that shed.

For fun, and to get the only protein for the kids and me that we don't get from home. Took a few years to get completed, but she fishes like a dream. Built big enough so both kiddos can sleep in it as they see fit, the boy(6'5") can even stretch out down the side.

http://pcphotolady.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=195279409

http://pcphotolady.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=195279442

Owl

·
Premium Member
1,881 Posts
A set of pens and sheds. When I first moved here there were about 2 acres of corrals. Nothing tied in right, and all were falling down. I tore all out, made a 2' cut across the bottom end, so I had good drainage. And rebuilt using steel and power poles for pens, a round pen, and a arena.

The steel I traded a custom saddle for. the poles were given to me for cleaning a pole dump site up.

Tried to take a couple pics with my new smart phone last night. That worked, but I can't upload the address of photobucket into it. Good thing they didn't test me before they sold me a smart phone, cuz I certainly wouldn't have passed. Technology is always kicking my butt!!!

However this one is waterproof! Water has been the death of all my cell phones. some last for years, but eventually they fall out of pocket into a stock tank or ditch.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
This is Bostonlesley ......
The best thing that I ever made was the only thing I ever made... A garden cart out of scraps and old bicycle wheels.....wobbled a bit, but it worked...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts