Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Was it about a women who homesteaded in Palmer or Wasilla, AK?

·
Banned
1,811 Posts
I read about it on here, too, and ordered the book from Amazon. I enjoyed the book very much, but was disappointed at how the family turned out. Just wasn't the perfect ending that I'd hoped for...

6,637 Posts
A bit of thread drift.

I read a story in readers digest I think. 25 years ago. A young couple with no kids decided to homestead in alaska. They planned, packed, and moved. They had some rough times, and they had some good times. I dont remember how long they were there, but they had an emergency, and decided, even thought it was in the middle of the winter, they better try to walk out. The man got hurt, or exhausted, or something, and gave up. He would have died. The woman somehow got him to keep moving. She got them out. They survived the adventure, but their relationship did not survive. I remember them sitting in a cafe together after they both had recovered from their injuries. They talked about how they didnt love each other any more, or she didnt love him anymore...something.

I liked the story a lot, but I was sad that the hardships they endured was more than their relationship could stand.

I suppose if a woman cant depend on her man to be strong....mabey that idea is crap too...I dunno.

I just remember I liked it, but the ending was sad.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
rose2005 said:
...I never read a book twice.

Rose :)
Oh, my!!! I can't imagine not re-reading my favorites! I always find details that I missed the first time through. And some characters are like old friends that I like spending time with. I have a very hard time parting with books. :)

T

·
0 Posts
Does anyone remember a book by a lady who went to the Allutian Islands with her family and they roughed it up there? I seem to remember them homeschooling and having sheep. I'm drawing a total blank on their names....

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I really liked that Artic Homestead was written from a woman's point of view. Overall I enjoyed the book though I do agree that the outcome of the kids' lives was somewhat sad...but the fact the Norma and Les made it through together and had success with their business was inspiring given all that they had gone through.

·
Premium Member
2,193 Posts
The story of Clara Rust, Alaska Pioneer in the book called "This Old House" by Jo Anne Wold is a true story and very very interesting. If you can find a copy you would really enjoy it. Pictures in it are good too.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
"Shut up and eat your snowshoes" was an interesting read. But I think this family was in canada, not alaska. But they had to fly in/ out and had a host of adventures.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts