naked homesteaders

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by stumpyacres, Dec 1, 2004.

1. stumpyacres

stumpyacres Well-Known Member

Are there any nudists among us? The breastfeeding thread got me to thinking... :cool: And how about the farm chores? I'm serious - some people do live this way.

2. sheeplady

sheeplady Well-Known Member

Boy, sounds like cabin fever is setting in already! :haha:
    For those of us who are outside a lot ( gardening, caring for animals, splitting wood) and have wood stoves inside, Thats a bit hazardous to say the least.
    Not to mention that its 35 degrees here today and also hunting season. :eek:

3. Lt. Wombat

Lt. Wombat Well-Known Member

Not a nudist in the strictest form but I have been known to forgo clothing to let stock in/out of the barn or open/close the chicken coop or get something forgotten in the car.

About 2 years ago the FedEx gal arrived while I was between the barn and house naked. I went inside, put on something, and then came out to sign her clipboard. She thought the event was pretty humorous. About 2 weeks later I get a civil subpoena for an informal deposition with an insurance carrier as she had filed for workers comp claiming stress due to the incident. Her problem, not mine.

What I legally do on my land out of public view is my business.

4. Bob in WI

Bob in WI Well-Known Member

I would always be worrying about getting some of my parts caught in the machinery, or something like that. :eek: :haha:

Never been interested in being a nudist. My body is the temple of God, and unfortunately as of late he has a lot of room to roam around in.

That may be one reason, I don't want to scare anybody.

5. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

Not me, but hubby has been known to stroll about sans clothing. Enough so my son calls before he brings a girl over...and he'll walk in the door hollering, "I've got someone with me...don't be naked!", in case hubby 'forgot' he was coming.

6. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

As a farm we aren't open to the public, but we do promote ourselves online, and some people think nothing of dropping in unannounced. One day I was taking a shower and into our driveway pulls a mini-van. The doors pop open and out pour 4 absolutely wild kids... they immediately start shrieking and take off after the chickens... they charge toward the sheep (who take off)... the dogs in the house are going nuts... and the only towel I have is a dish towell. When one of the kids openned the sheep gate and started driving the sheep around, I threw modesty to the wind and charged out buck naked with my little dish towell. Angry? Angry does not begin to describe. I caught kids by the hair.

When everyone was back in the van I told the woman to go away and never come back.

I don't imagine she even entertained the thought of ever coming back!

7. bare

bare Head Muderator

Twenty degrees here today, but it ain't that far to the woodpile. Besides, being nude in the winter makes a real man of you...a real "little" man, but hey, makes you appreciate the wood heat all the more when you get back inside.

Besides, it's easier to wash my body than it is my clothes.

I do wear shoes or boots as the weather dictates.

8. mammabooh

mammabooh Metal melter Supporter

Yep, I like being naked. We have neighbors too close where we live now, but I still go outside in my underwear sometimes.

I like to clean the house with just my underwear on too.

My brother-in-law just thinks this story is hilarious...I grew up in the woods with no one around, and I didn't wear many clothes. One day, when I was about 12, my mom said to my sister and I "Ya know, I think it's about time for you two to start wearing shirts to the dinner table". I guess we've always been hicks!

9. kentuckyhippie

kentuckyhippie Well-Known Member Supporter

does jumping out of the shower and slamming the door open and terrorizing two jehova wittnesses count?

10. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

For the love of Pete, NO!
    Way too modest. :eek: :eek:

11. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

Thak you for the chuckle. )

--->Paul

12. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Naked? Never. Too many neighbors, and I have kids at home.

What I DO have is a small window in my bathroom. That is apparently too much for my BIL, who blocked it up while he took a shower.

Now, the lower edge of that window catches me at my collarbones, and it is on a second floor with a view of ONLY my big back yard and some trees, but that was apparently too much for my BIL.

Some folks are just TOO modest! :haha:

13. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

I always get a kick out of hearing of nudists going back to nature. Let some of them wander out in my briar patch and see how long they remain nudists. Also as somebody mentioned, wood stoves, bare steel tractor seats, and welders, etc. arent probably the most nudist friendly either.

Now I recon ones skin would eventually get toughened to where these things wouldnt be as painful, but be a long unpleasant road to get there.

14. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

MMmm..

While it sounds lovely to be outside nude, I always wondered how long the more...TENDER areas of the body would sun-burn before they got used to the sun.

15. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

My sister, who is a bit fluffy likes to be naked. She has been known to go to backyard of the house to hang clothing on the line nude! She lives in the country,BTW.

The JW don't stop at her house anymore since they thought they'd walk to the backyard after knocking on the door and getting no answer! :haha: :eek: :eek:

16. Marilyn in CO

Marilyn in CO Well-Known Member

The farmer and I have chased cattle in the middle of the night in our underwear........on 4-wheelers. :haha: You have no time to put on clothes when you hear 1300# critters trotting around your bedroom window and it's 2AM. :yeeha: However, if that happened last night we would have found the time.......it was 1 below. :no: MIL used to shoot birds in her housecoat.......that's about as wild as it gets here. :D Marilyn, the farmer's wife............

17. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

For some reason I keep thinking of putting my bare butt on a frosty,metal Tractor seat :eek: :eek: No thank you!!! :haha: :haha:

big rockpile

18. OD

OD Well-Known Member

Too many things around here have stingers, thorns, or stickers. It would just be too painful.

19. Hurricane Kurt

Hurricane Kurt Well-Known Member

HeHe.. that reminds me of a scene from the movie Joe Dirt when that poor dogs jewels got frozen to the porch and Joe helped them off with a spatula :)

20. FolioMark

FolioMark In Remembrance

illinois but i have a homestead building in missou
    LOL: NOT to mention the infamous tongue on the flagpole scene in A Christmas Story. Wonder how long the response time would be for the Fire Dept to come from town to Rockpiles house on the Ridge?

Dont work in the nude around my place, but I have been known to take a relaxing stroll in the moonlight down to the pond or to enjoy the sun in a quiet glade. You do have to be careful about kids on Off Road Vehicles though. Sometime I will tell you all the story about my Jon sitting on what we thought was our secluded potty bench. :haha: :rolleyes: