Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I procrastinated about ordering elephant garlic and then could only find them from one place that I had never heard of before. It was late at night and I wanted to get some in the mail, on its way to me, so I just clicked the "add to my basket" button.

Well, the garlic arrived, 12 cloves making for a total of a hair over one pound. Attached to the bag was a document entitled "growing instructions" that stated the I needed to be really careful when breaking the cloves from the head and to not remove the paper skins from the cloves as the skins will protect the clove during the winter and from pests.

I looked at the bag of elephant garlic and noticed that half of the cloves are in the bag with no skin at all. They are already butt-naked and I had not even opened bag yet.

I called the company and the voicemail said to contact them via email for a faster response. I sent an email, received no response, sent another email, again no response and then tried calling again. After the fourth attempt at calling today I finally got a live person.

He said that it is no problem planting naked elephant garlic. He went further in saying that it is one of the few garlics, if not the only one, that can be planted without the paper skin still attached.

Is he right? Or is he just blowing smoke up my skirt? Anyone have any experience with planting naked elephant garlic?

And, yes, I do know that elephant garlic is not really a garlic and is more similar to a leek. I am just not sure what to expect if I plant these naked. I have never before done it with regular garlic.

And, yes, I already have another pound of elephant garlic on its way to me. I found another source that seems to be a bit more reputable.

Trellis

P.S. I have intentionally not yet mentioned the company's name. There were some other problems with the order and they are supposedly being taken care of. I will wait until this completely plays out before I bring up their name.

·
Premium Member
308 Posts
Same here...I've planted plenty of regular hardneck type cloves w/o the paper and they did fine too. I've even planted chipped/broken cloves and had good results

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay...

The naked elephant garlic will be going into the ground real soon. Thanks for the help.

TRellis

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
I sell elephant garlic on the barter board and e bay. If you need some next year you can hit me up. What you bought should be fine unless it is over a year old. Does it seem shrunken or spongy ? That is a sign it is old and may not be viable. Even then I have tried planting 2 year old cloves and had some success. good luck with it and dont forget to harvest and use your scapes.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I sell elephant garlic on the barter board and e bay. If you need some next year you can hit me up.
Great!!! Now you tell me!!! ;)

It is my fault though as I did procrastinate for quite a bit about purchasing some. :smack

Next year, if I need any.

Does it seem shrunken or spongy ? That is a sign it is old and may not be viable. Even then I have tried planting 2 year old cloves and had some success. good luck with it and dont forget to harvest and use your scapes.
The cloves seem firm, some are just naked. I always thought that it was common practice to cut the scapes anyway just to invigorate bulb growth.?.?

TRellis

1 - 6 of 6 Posts