NAIS would you? Have you?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Caelma, Dec 18, 2005.

NAIS where do you stand

1. No big deal, I'll comply.

2. I would not comply at all.

3. I'll try to dodge it till I have no choice then comply.

4. I will dodge it and it need be get rid of my livestock.

5. I think the whole things a crock, get out your tin hats.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Caelma

Caelma Well-Known Member

Where do you stand?
    If need be will comply.
    I will not comply when the time comes.
    I think the whole things a crock and can care less.
    I will try to dodge it was long as I can and comply as a last resort
    I will try to dodge it and when the time comes just get rid of my critters.

After you vote, if you feel like it please tell us:
    On a scale of 1 to 10
    1 being you can care less and 10 being you are extreamely concerned, where are you at with this issue?

Sorry for the spelling mistakes in the post.

2. bob clark

bob clark A man's man

its going to happen . it cant be stopped . the only hope is to try to get included some exeptions for small farmers and steaders. :1pig:

3. silentcrow

silentcrow Furry Without A Clue

They can lock me up if they want...I'll never "comply". I'm tired of the big guys pushin' us little guys around. I'm below poverty level and raise a few chickens as a food supply. Any extra eggs I happen to have go to my mom or a lady that does alot of baking and prefers brown eggs. When a chicken vanishes, either I ate it or something in the woods ate it. I did get rid of a few roosters, but they were destined for dinner. Next they'll wanna microchip the eggs!!!!!!!!!

4. ThreeJane

ThreeJane Me Love Your Face

I don't have any chickens.

I don't have any goats next year either.

That pig I was thinking of raising, it disappeared into thin air.

I don't have any dogs. Or cats. Or kids. Or guns.

Dang, I don't have anything the fed.gov is interested in these days.

I'm so boring....

5. Iddee

Iddee Well-Known Member

It will never happen. During a warm spring/summer month I have 10 to 20 thousand births daily, and nearly as many deaths. I am a small operation, not even a good size hobby. A commercial outfit will have 500 times as many as I do. How are they going to tag them????

I'm a beekeeper. :D

6. ladycat

ladycat Chicken Mafioso Staff Member

Poor little things, if they tag them they'll be too heavy to fly.

7. annabella1

annabella1 Well-Known Member

Oh No I'll have to hide my vermiculture bin.

8. TnAndy

TnAndy Well-Known Member Supporter

So, for the 8 of ya'll that ( so far ) have answered:

I'll try to dodge it till I have no choice then comply.

IS there ANY line in the sand you won't back up from ?

If they decide to tag you as well, will you answer the same ?

Just curious.

9. ladycat

ladycat Chicken Mafioso Staff Member

Nah, don't hide them. It should be fun watching them try to tag thousands of worms.

Hmmm, wonder if they're going to tag maggots, fruit flies, meal worms, crickets, and all those other insects raised for animal food.

And how about insects raised for selling to gardeners- like ladybugs and praying mantis.

(I'm just joking, btw. I think.)

10. cowboy joe

cowboy joe Hired Hand

Can't wait to see what's next. Taxes are up, services are down...perhaps the gov't should be focused on education for our children, jobs for the unemployed and taking care of the elderly. Another real waste of money and loss of liberty as far as I'm concerned. Reminds me of the old Arlo Guthrie song "Alice's Resturant"...I can see all of us who are non-complaint lined up outside the courtroom. The murders and theives will move down to the other end because they don't want to be associated with those of us who violate the NAIS...

11. Madame

Madame Well-Known Member Supporter

The whole thing is unrealistic. Am I supposed to report it every time I take a pet to the vet or the kennel or take the dog on a walk around the block? I don't see how they even think this is feasible!

12. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

Like TnAndy, I am also perplexed by people who think that we can't fight this.

This month's Countryside has a great article (posted on this forum) that tells how to fight this thing.

http://homesteadingtoday.com/showthread.php?t=109913&highlight=Article+NAIS

WE HAVE TO FIGHT IT!

If not us, then who???

My advice is to get off the web for a half hour or so, write a letter, send it out to the various lawmakers listed in the article, CC your local newspapers, and GET THE WORD OUT!!!

Talk to your friends, your neighbors, anyone who will listen. Encourage THEM to get the word out. Photocopy letters that people can sign and send to the lawmakers.

WE CAN STOP IT, BUT NOT IF WE JUST SIT ON OUR DUFFS AND LET IT HAPPEN!!!

Come ON!!! Let's DO something here!!!!

13. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

the problem is most people who are not on this forum just dont care. As long as the government leaves them enought money to get to the mall and buy a couple things they will do whatever they are told. the lawmakers are going to do whatever most people will let them get away with.

14. tnborn

tnborn Well-Known Member

Nope. I'm not going to comply at all. Must fight for freedoms and privacy. Gheesh, where did I put my tinfoil hat??
    tnborn

15. caberjim

caberjim Stableboy III

This is an unbelievably absurd statement. Allowing my animals to be tagged means I'll allow myself to be tagged? Sorry, too much slippery slope on that reasoning.

Do I like the idea of animals being tagged? Absolutely not. Am I willing to put my livelyhood and property and family at risk for this? Not yet, not for this. I will do whatever possibly to get around it, but this is not where I draw the line in the sand and either leave the country, lose my property or go to jail. Maybe it is for you, but not for me. If they want to tag me, then I leave.

Here are some thoughts I have mentioned before.
    1. It is too late on this issue. It is a done deal. It will not be revoked. The watchdog was asleep on this one. The time to fight was a year ago.
    2. The public, not just the govt and politicians, are for this and against you. The threat of mad cow disease was enough to push this thru and justify it in the eyes of the public. Add the avian flu alarm (real or not) and very few americans and certainly no politician who wants to get re-elected is going to take up sides against it, not after all the media coverage of people dying in asia. Consider this also - the big players with the big money, ranchers, cattlemen, etc, are already using this system to track their herds. They like it. It is good for them. It is helpful to thier bottom line if the little guy has to ponyup the same money now.

Go to your coworkers, John Q Public, some person in the grocery store and tell them you want them sign a petition to prevent the usda from tracking potential mad cow disease and avian flu outbreaks in the United States.

Then call your congressman and tell him that you and 20 other farm animal owners in your state are against this and you want him to sponser a bill that his opponents will claim is leaving the people of his state vulnerable to avian flu outbreaks. I'm sure he'll see your point, especially if you tell him you believe the next step in this nefarious plot is to chip all US citizens.

You could fight it in court when the USDA siezes you animals. A jury of your peers who just last week saw news reports showing thousands of bird being slaughtered in other countries in an attempt to stop the spread to people.

The reality is that there is no support for our side of this argument. Fighting it by writing letters or an armed standoff will not change it because this ship sailed a year ago and the wind are blowing strong. You decide what your response is. Personally, I see it more as an incredible pain in the ass than an attempt by Monsanto or the govt or whomever to sieze control of America's food supply. I do not like it, but this is not the place I have a standoff.

Will the system work? Eventually, yes. Right now, if you have an adverse reaction to a drug, the fda can track that particular vial back thru the pipeline all the way to the manufacturing floor and review everything that happened to it during the manufacturing, packaging, shipping, delivery process. The same will happen to food eventually.

For the record, if you didn't get it, I'm against the whole thing. But I recognize the reality of the situation.

16. apirlawz

apirlawz playing in the dirt

"Oh darn, my house seems to be on fire. I suppose I could walk over there to the garden hose and see if I can do anything about it. Naw, it's going to burn to the ground anyway. Boy, that's just too bad, really hate to see that happen."

If that's how you want to handle it, hey, knock yourself out. 'Cause ya know, the best way to fight something you disagree with is to roll over and play dead.

My concentration will be on looking for ways of letting the homsteader/hobby farmer get some form of an exemption. Somewhat like the laws regarding raw milk sales in my state. I'll be "darned" if I'm going to give the USDA a call every time I hatch out a incubator full of eggs or take a goat to the vet.

Write the letter, sent it to your congressmen/women and senators. It takes a half hour and some postage. I hope that this is not asking too much for a "lost cause".

17. TnAndy

TnAndy Well-Known Member Supporter

"Will the system work? Eventually, yes. Right now, if you have an adverse reaction to a drug, the fda can track that particular vial back thru the pipeline all the way to the manufacturing floor and review everything that happened to it during the manufacturing, packaging, shipping, delivery process. The same will happen to food eventually."

And the comparison between tracking a vial of drugs/serum and tracking non-commercial farm animals.....ie, chickens or whatever that are born on my place and consumed there, is also, as you said, "an unbelievably absurd statement"

The slope between tagging your critters and tagging you is NOT as far apart as you would believe.

And yes, I agree.....the same thing will happen to food eventually.....food being the ultimate control.

If they require you to register your family garden, will you do that as well ?

18. Jane in southwest WI

Jane in southwest WI Well-Known Member

I spent yesterday afternoon writing all my legislators. I used the letter that someone here on the forum (sorry, I forgot who) posted ealier and added my own words. What I am asking for is exemptions for small farms and homesteads. Here is my letter if anyone wants to use it or parts of it. Note that I do not currently raise my own animals so I write as a buyer/supporter of home-raised food.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Senator/Representative __________,

I am concerned that the national animal ID system is too invasive into the lives of ordinary citizens who are not large-scale producers of animals for food, but who farm on a small scale or have one or two animals as pets. If the real purpose of NAIS is to track the food supply for instances like mad cow disease then:

1) NAIS is not necessary for horses, donkeys, guardian animals or other non-food animals - these animals are not going to enter the human food chain in our country and should NOT be tracked by the government. There are already safeguards in place for preventing the spread of disease in horses. Regulations that would require implantation of a chip to track movement and registration of premises keyed to Global Positioning System coordinates is an invasion of privacy and makes no sense for a hobby farmer who raises alpacas or a family with a pet pony.

2) NAIS is not necessary for sales direct to the consumer from the farm. In these cases there is already far better tracking of the food chain. I buy meat and eggs from small family farms in my area. I am more confident in the safety of food raised on small farms, and I fear I will lose the freedom to select my food in this way if NAIS is forced on individuals who may have to give up farming if they cannot afford expensive RFID readers or cannot keep up with the excessive reporting required by NAIS.

3) NAIS should not be at all involved with people who are raising livestock for their own family consumption. They know exactly where the food came from - they raised it. There is no need to have any government involved in our own kitchens and food that we raise in our own backyards. I see raising food for our families as a basic human right that should not be interfered with by government.

4) NAIS is a violation of the religious freedoms of Americans whose beliefs make it impossible for them to comply. For example, the Amish choose to farm and live without technology according to their beliefs and this system is a threat to their way of life.

NAIS is being implemented too broadly. To include the above groups suggests the government has ulterior motives and is trying to invade people's privacy. There should be exemptions for the above groups.

Thank you for your attention in this matter.
    Sincerely,

19. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

They can't even regulate illegals and they want to regulate my birds? Give me a break!

20. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

most things people worry about never take place so relax have a beer and enjoy the rest of the day